iPad 2 screen replacement ideas?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tballsak, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Tballsak macrumors newbie

Ok, so I've had my iPad 2 for as long as I can remember. This year though,(dont know when it happened) i found a crack in my iPad 2s screen. I'm one of those people when a picture frame is crooked you have to fix it. That's what it feels like when I use the iPad which I'm on constantly. I have two ideas of what I should do. 1: Send it to apple to get the screen fixed. 2: When the the new iPad that is bound to come out this year comes out, I will sell the old iPad 2 and buy a iPad 4 because the price will be lower and that is one of the newest iPads. Please leave a reply to this with you opinions on what i should do.

2. ihakim macrumors member

If you are planning on getting the iPad 4 relatively soon, it doesn't make sense to pay apple for the repair. Do it yourself or just live with it.

3. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

For the OP, not sure what Apple would charge for this repair, but check iFixit HERE if you are considering a repair yourself - $120 or so @ that site for the parts/kit. Of course, the other issue if the screen is not repaired concerns the re-sale value (I'd want a reduced price and would also worry that the device had been dropped - assume it is working fine?). So, these are issues that only you can really decide - appears that you will be getting a 'new' iPad, so the main question is how much you may make on the iPad 2 depending on its repair status? Good luck - :)

4. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Are you the main character from Memento? The iPad 2 came out like 2 years ago... :D

In all seriousness, though, I would just tough it out until the fall. When I sold my iPad 2 last year, I saw loads of broken/cracked screen iPads on eBay going for nearly full price. Even broken Apple products hold value, evidently. :cool:

5. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Based on what I can see on eBay. It's better to sell as is. You'll get around $100 to $160 for it. If you attempt to replace the screen, you'll spend around $120 and that will only raise the value to about $240.