iPad 2 screen resolution just about confirmed to be the same...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

From this site... http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ar...-ios-4.3-the-full-breakdown-with-screenshots/

iPad 2 Camera and Screen Resolution. Art files within the iOS 4.3 beta have shown what appears to be a higher-resolution version of the shutter animation for the Camera application, designed to be displayed at 1024x768 or 768x1024 depending on the iPad’s orientation. These files appear to suggest that the second-generation iPad’s screen will remain at the same resolution as the first-generation model’s, and that the Camera application will use the entire screen rather than just a part of it. However, neither of these details is certain at this point.

Guess we can stop hoping for any sort of resolution change on the iPad 2.

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yeah, I read this on the feeds today but didn't want to come open the can of worms here, hehe :D

I had been hoping for 1280x1024 as a realistic bump, but that would still make developers have to resize assets (depending on how they coded it). There was no way it would ever be on the scale of what they did for the iPhone 4. I don't like using the term "retina display" because that's just marketing, but suffice to say, a screen w/4x the res of what we have now would make it VERY, very expensive.

3. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

I think it would be too early for a resolution bump honestly. Not that I wouldn't like it, but I can totally see them going forward with what they have now, it's not like it's outdated against the competition.

The Blackberry Playbook has a 7" screen so it's really not a good comparisson but it has a 1024x600 resolution, still less than the iPad (though more DPI due to the smaller size)

The Motorola Zoom has a 10.1" screen and 1280x800 screen vs 1024x768 of the iPad, so slightly bigger but I would still same in the same league.

4. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was kind of expecting that.

I'm not buying this time around. If the three is good, possibly. Probably gonna get the 4, the 5, or the 6.

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I'm not surprised at all.

Anyone expecting Apple to do retina display in the iPad are most likely absolutely right, but those expecting it to happen anytime soon must not realize the difficulty in manufacturing a 10" screen at that pixel density currently. And anyone expecting a slight resolution bump don't recognize the problems it would cause for apps and to developers, how it would fragment iOS device support on the App Store, and thus definitely how it's not something Apple would do. Apple are all or nothing; If they do a resolution increase, it'll be only when they can have it be retina.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Kind of. That's still 33% more pixels, which could have significant benefits for text antialiasing. Apple's screen is 4x3 so would probably have a 1280x960 resolution (at that size), which is 60% more pixels to work with than the current iPad. It doesn't need Apple's definition of a Retina display, but 1280x960 would make a big difference.

7. abooch1 macrumors regular

damn I was hoping for at least a slight bump in resolution..

8. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I will not be disappointed if the next generation iPad has the exact same screen as the current one. I don't know what you people are doing wrong, but it looks fantastic to me :D

9. gatearray macrumors 65816

Improved Screen?

Like everyone else, I have read the rumors about an "improved screen" on the next gen iPad and while most take that to be a resolution bump, it seems to me that the next iPad may have an optically laminated display just like the iPhone 4, but certainly not the "retina display"...

10. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Um it is a Beta for a reason, nothing is final.

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

That really sucks balls.

Now even less incentive to upgrade. Ugh...

12. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I would at least hope there is a bump of some sort. While I agree the screen isn't terrible, text doesn't always look great on the iPad. I have never enjoyed reading much on my iPad, but pictures/games look great. I was really just looking for more RAM and better resolution in order to upgrade...

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So, where are those idiots who said I was wrong and iPad is definitely getting retina Display? They assured me that iPad will have a higher resolution than my 17 inch MBP (1920X1200) and iMac 21 inch (1920X1080)

It took apple 3 years and Please read. It's 3 years for them to change the resolution on iPhone.

Please look at history. Apple ain't changing iPad resolution on iPad 2 and unlikely do anything until iPad 3 or 4.

Beta version my ass....

iPad 2 launch is very imminent. It will launch either March or April.

iPad 2 will have a camera + some spec updates. Omg. FacetimE! People will buy.

iPad 3 will have 4G like LTE network + some spec updates. OMFG. 4G. People will buy.

iPad 4 is the time to change the resolution screen.

Please get real.

14. rikbrown macrumors regular

Apple aren't stupid. They know as soon as they release an update people will go digging into it looking for possible future changes.

Frankly, these could just be placeholder images, or test images that slipped in - with no significance at all. Right now the only people who know the specs of the next iPad are in Cupertino.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

1280x800 would be a much better resolution for movie playback.

It is also the 16:10 format ratio that the pro's all say is the idea format for computer monitors also.

25% more horizontal pixels than the iPad

16. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Some resolution gain would be appreciated. Otherwise, ***** dat!

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

And it would either drive developers away from the iPad all together or at least make them drop support for the first gen one. Dealing with two different screen ratios would be a huge pain and require slightly different UI design for the different iPad generations.

Also, the fact that these images are 1024x768 means nothing either way. The iOS 4 betas that came out before the iPhone 4 was announced didn't have all of the retina display images.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Whilst i hoped there would be a slight resolution boost (nothing as high as a super high DPI as others had touted) for the iPad 2 if only to improve the anti-aliasing on fonts whilst reading.

However it would not surprise me if Apple kept it the same and basically added more ram (512mb) and (front/rear) cameras alongside the very slight redesign of the case as we have all seen by now. I suspect we won't get the USB either.

If my suspicions are correct and iPad 2 does not offer anything substantial to me, I will probably try out the playbook or a honeycomb tablet instead.

19. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

As with the iPhone and on the current development trajectory, any iPad resolution bumps will have to double the X and Y axis, so don't expect any announcements soon! Pixels don't work in fractions (don't mention anti-aliasing ewww...).

Maybe the next release of iOS will enforce resolution independence in apps and therefore allow a display such as 1280x1024, but that's currently not on the cards...

20. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Very good point.

Apple never, ever, EVER comment on rumors or speculation on unreleased products. Yet, if everyone's reading rumors of the iPad 2 having a retina display and it doesn't have one then a lot of people would be disappointed of the iPad 2... based on no logical reasoning other than rumors. Yet, hiding in a couple of images in an update that that they know people would find allows Apple to indirectly quash rumors the iPad 2 would have a retina display.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It's so funny how some people are still hoping that apple will change resolution. No, they won't. The apps are not going to just adjust themselves to higher resolution. Developers will have to go back and rescale those apps again. 16:10 movies? iPad is not even in 16:10 aspect ratio. Apple sacrificed wide screen, so people can read magazines, newspapers and books more comfortably. This thing ain't designed to watch just movies. Stop dreaming. The resolution ain't going to change after just1 year. iPad has a lot of apps at the app store and Apple won't just ask developers to change what they have been working on for a year. iPad resolution was fine and still is. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Apple can add just camera, faster processor and more ram. They will still sell millions of units. Retina display? Yea right. Get out.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The only way out of their hole, would be to allow apps to run in a kind of floating window on the desktop.

Then they would finally be able to change the screen resolution a little bit as tech allows without breaking anything.

At the moment they are stuck, and I hate to think how many years it will be before any mobile GPU can handle a doubling in both X and Y of the current screen res.

That means the whole machine would have to be 400% faster just to match todays on screen speed.

Face, it, that does not sound great. It's such a shame they started and locked themselves into quite a low res by todays standards, or even by standards a decade ago.

Now they are stuck, unless as I say, perhaps they allow Apps to float in a window on a larger res desktop.

23. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Refresh

I too think people looking for a higher resolution iPad 2 are setting them selves up for disappointment come release time. This iteration of the iPad is going to be a minimal change, think iPhone 3G to 3Gs. It's going to be an upgrade that those without a current iPad will be very happy to run out and buy, and that totals millions of people and huge $$ for Apple. But those already with one, unless you have plenty of disposable income, or perhaps no Macbook of any sort, will probably skip this version. Count me as one waiting for iPad 3.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPad resolution is fine. iPad will try to go into like Super AMOLED for future ipads. It will not have higher resolution with 300 Pixel Per inch. It is unnecessary and stupid. Battery life? Costs? Give me a freaking break.

People don't want to pay more than 499 dollars for base, but they all want these premium specs. No. No. No. No. Go away. Buy something else, then. Motorola Xoom is there for you.

25. phonk macrumors member

That is actually a good thing for everyone who uses the AppStore. Every resolution other than the same or twice as high would result in incompatibility with every released app. Won't happen.