Ipad 2 Screen Scratch

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by msugrad, Jul 26, 2011.

1. msugrad macrumors newbie

I recently purchased my first Apple product, an iPad 2. I may be a bit OCD, but I have noticed a very small scratch near the center of the screen. Its most noticeable on a black screen, but it drives me nuts, since I have been so careful and specifically worried about scratching it.

I purchased it on July 3rd, but because of my work schedule, didn't really get to use it until I left for a two-week vacation on July 10th. On July 11th, I cleaned the screen with a microfiber cloth, and noticed the scratch. I haven't been available to look into getting it fixed because of the vacation. Anyway, I've read many posts about Apple replacing iPads due to scratches that MAY have manufacturing defects...my question is this: If I go to an Apple store will they be likely to even consider helping me? I purchased from another retailer, because the nearest Apple store is over an hour away from me. Also, because of my work schedule and vacation, now three weeks have passed, and I'm worried that even if they would have been willing to help, it may be too late now. Is it worth a shot making an appointment at the Genius Bar?

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

there could have been something on the microfiber cloth that caused the scratch. Apple will tell you it is cosmetic damage and that they dont have to replace the iPad, though if you tell them the truth, you might find a Genius willing to replace the iPad.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You have 30 days to return it to Apple no questions asked. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

4. JCCWM macrumors newbie

Yes. I bought my iPad in April. Somehow ... about a month ago ... the screen of my iPad got scratched (not sure if I did it or what happened). I took it to an Apple store ... met with a genius ... he replaced it free of charge ... the guy was so cool about it ... he didn't even bat at eye ... just handed me a new iPad and was like, "Happy Thanksgiving."

I say try it. the worst they can say is no. then you're back in the same position you originally were in.

also, be honest and king. these guys are on their feet all day and are constantly dealing with rude customers. if you think you did it by accident ... say so ... if you don't think its your problem, let them know ... either way, tell the truth. the employees are these stories hear a million lies all day long ... they will know if you are BSing them. honesty and kindness will go a long way.