iPad 2 screen thinness saves weight and MAKES IT STRONGER?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RadicalxEdward, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Equating flexibility to strength tells me that 9 to 5 Mac is not doing their homework correctly.

2. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Strength: the capacity of an object or substance to withstand great force or pressure

3. nomik2 macrumors regular

Well technically they tested the elasticity of the material.

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

Good definition. The problem is we have no idea how much force or pressure was required to break each one. All we see is how far they bend.

It does appear that the guy had to use more muscle with the iPad 1 glass. He repositions himself to give it more strength required to bend it to its breaking point.

So even though the iPad 1 glass can't bend as far, this means nothing as it relates to "strength". In fact, it means nothing at all in the context of an actual iPad since none of the other components can bend that far.

5. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

man you guys just gotta nit pick everything huh?

"iPad 2 glass bends more than iPad 1 glass without breaking. May possibly be a good thing."

better? jeez.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

In some cases, but not here. You don't buy the glass separate from the unibody frame. Each is in a rigid, metal frame.

7. aperry macrumors 6502a

Yeah that is better, and believe it or not it makes a big difference. If people think the new glass is "stronger" then they may believe it'll better survive an impact, which hasn't been proven at all.

This test really doesn't tell us anything important about the new glass. The iPad isn't flexible to begin with so who cares if the glass can bend itself around into a "c" shape.

8. guitardogcar macrumors member

It is the shell that breaks the screen...how many iPads drop in IMAX style slow motion? Bending?! The things shatter...

I know. First hand, unfortunately. Read my posts on the subject before flaming.

gdc

9. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

I really want to see an ipad 2 drop test. I'm surprised some of the big news sites haven't been able to obtain one for testing.