Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
For the truly impatient....

Best buy has incase magazine jacket cases for the ipad 2 in stock in my area. The front cover is flimsy plastic, cheap with no magnets. But you could detach the cover from the back shell, (it's held on with adhesive) for a custom ready built back case with no annoying logos on it.

It's $49, but you wouldn't have to wait for a week or more for the back case.

If my chinese shell from flea bay isn't supposed to get here by Monday, I would have done exactly that. Probably going to return it.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
How well do those eBay ones work? They have a lip round the bezel of the iPad which I would imagine gets in the way of the smart cover

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Guys,
I just wanted to let you all know after trying about a thousand cases, I found one that works! This case has no logos on it! It's thin and light! And works perfectly with the smart cover! The best part is it's cheap! Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270733686403&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Theses things are great they had 1000 and sold out in two days! (glad I got mine when I did!). They will be getting more on the 19th so go order one before there gone! You will love it!

Gee, how is your Ebay business going?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Here's one in black or clear that is made for the smartcover and works perfectly. No edge, clicks on, and fits perfectly
(I have a icarbon skin underneath for looks)
http://www.xgearlive.com

cb4eb5ca.jpg

Nightz

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
San Diego, CA
Here's one in black or clear that is made for the smartcover and works perfectly. No edge, clicks on, and fits perfectly
(I have a icarbon skin underneath for looks)
http://www.xgearlive.com

cb4eb5ca.jpg
Couple of questions about that Xgear case: How much thickness does it add to the iPad? Does it add much weight?

Glad to see you using the iCarbon skin since I was planning to do the same. Do you have any problems with the Smart Cover staying on like some people in the iCarbons thread?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Couple of questions about that Xgear case: How much thickness does it add to the iPad? Does it add much weight?

Glad to see you using the iCarbon skin since I was planning to do the same. Do you have any problems with the Smart Cover staying on like some people in the iCarbons thread?

about what you think 1/16 or so...it's a sheet of plastic -I can still get it in a sleeve for travel

no prob whatsoever staying on...but if you do, due to weak magnets or whatever, just cut the skin back with an exacto knife..no big deal....too many people bitch about something they can solve in 30 secs, IMO....my skin is on for the look, not to be overly protective.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007

Before you purchase an Xgear case look at more pictures which show the speaker/dock area. You may be surprised. I'm not saying don't purchase, just that some may not like the amount of ipad that is exposed.

Here's a link to a picture...

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-31747_7-10007008-30.html?s=0&o=10007008

Nightz

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
San Diego, CA
Before you purchase an Xgear case look at more pictures which show the speaker/dock area. You may be surprised. I'm not saying don't purchase, just that some may not like the amount of ipad that is exposed.

Thanks. That doesn't bother me too much, but I think I'll wait to see how Enki's Genius Case looks before I decide on one. In the meantime, I'll stick with the iCarbons skin (coming this week) + Smart Cover + carrying sleeve.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, that's the main thing I don't like about the Xgear. Marware's Microshell and the Joy Factory SmartFit2 should be shipping by the end of this week, so we'll have more options to consider.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Yeah, that's the main thing I don't like about the Xgear. Marware's Microshell and the Joy Factory SmartFit2 should be shipping by the end of this week, so we'll have more options to consider.

Agreed, they say its for future development, ill bet a dock
I just covered the skin there with a cut piece of a dry skin i had from a powersupport for ipad1

Nightz

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
San Diego, CA

The SmartFit2 actually looks good coverage wise. The logo bothers me though. :\

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The SmartFit2 actually looks good coverage wise. The logo bothers me though. :\

Yeah, logos don't usually bother me, but this one seems a bit large in pics. I do like that it's a frosted white so it doesn't stand out any more than it has to. I don't like how Xgear's logo is black on clear, but the size is decent.

Nightz

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
San Diego, CA
Yeah, logos don't usually bother me, but this one seems a bit large in pics. I do like that it's a frosted white so it doesn't stand out any more than it has to. I don't like how Xgear's logo is black on clear, but the size is decent.

Yeah, since I'm getting a white carbon fiber skin, the logo might not stand out as much...so I might bite on the SmartFit2. I just wish the Enki had some more solid details (date, price, more pictures).

Nightz

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
San Diego, CA
Well, just did some digging and answered my own questions about the Enki case.

• Pre-orders begin on their website April 15th.
  • Cases will be shipped by the end of April.
  • Will be priced $29.99.
  • Will come with a screen protector.
  • Will also come with a "premium" iPad 2 bonus gift (unknown still).
  • Will ship in pink, blue, smoke and clear.
  • Case is pattern free with Enki logo in subtle frosted white.
  • Free ground shipping.

Excited, but I don't know if I can wait until the end of April though.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
The Enki is what I am going to order as well!

The arrival time pretty much coincides with the expected delivery of my iPad 2 so that works for me!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I hope not. I already have 3 lol.

Anyways, I put down a pre-order for a SmartFit 2 last night. Hopefully it ships this Thursday as they say it will. I'll also put a pre-order down for the Enki when they open those up. I'll keep one (not sure which yet) and give the other to my fiancee.

Same... I have a Marware Microshell, and a Joy Factory SmartFit2 both on pre-order. I will also order the Eniki case once it becomes available.

The Aviiq looks interesting, but I think it may add more weight to the iPad than desired and they don't appear to have all the smart cover colors.

Technohead

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Guys,
I just wanted to let you all know after trying about a thousand cases, I found one that works! This case has no logos on it! It's thin and light! And works perfectly with the smart cover! The best part is it's cheap! Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270733686403&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Theses things are great they had 1000 and sold out in two days! (glad I got mine when I did!). They will be getting more on the 19th so go order one before there gone! You will love it!

Just ordered mine. Thanks for the info. :)

shawndoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I just posted my thoughts of the eBay case + smart cover in the Incase Magazine Jacket thread for anyone interested.

Short summary, the Incase was lighter, thinner (except the nubs), and more "secure", however I prefer the smart cover capabilities and the overall thinness (no nubs) of the eBay case + smart cover.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I just posted my thoughts of the eBay case + smart cover in the Incase Magazine Jacket thread for anyone interested.

Short summary, the Incase was lighter, thinner (except the nubs), and more "secure", however I prefer the smart cover capabilities and the overall thinness (no nubs) of the eBay case + smart cover.

I concur. However, it seems like I have to stretch out the smart cover just a hair to get the on/off feature working lately.

Cut a notch out of my flea bay case to see if it'll work with my car charger/fm transmitter.

Looks like the incase will go back to best buy. Not a huge disappointment of a case, but the thin flimsy cover with no magnet feature is a bit of a letdown.

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I just received my eBay smart cover enhancer in the post, fits really well and will certainly be keeping my iPad safe till the Switcheasy canvas gets over here.
Works great with the smart cover and for the price, I couldn't not get one :)

56127338478065cbff8bb.jpg

5613309764f7e99b9db7b.jpg

561331615044249a9044b.jpg

Last edited:

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Just ordered mine. Thanks for the info. :)

As did I.

I suppose if the raised edge is too sharp or tall I can always sand in down to a desired level and repaint. The cover also appeared to have many happy customers claiming it does indeed work well with the smart covers. Guess I'll know for sure once it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.