iPad 2 shortage is iPad 1 redux

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iOrlando, Mar 15, 2011.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I am pretty suprised to see how many people are shocked with the limited iPad 2 supply. Do people not remember how limited iPad 1 was in the initial months?

If you have the time to wait in front of an apple store each morning, great. Chances are good though that the store wont get supply and even if they did, they probably have a pre-order list created by the manager with names of those that have literally lived at the store for the past few days.

go online and just place an order. 4-5 weeks. I doubt store supply will improve much before that 4-5 weeks anyways.

iPad 1 supply was still out of whack months after launch.

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I dont agree with the comparison to iPad 1.

I got my first ipad two days after the launch with no line and my choice of models. (only wifi available at the time)

Maybe it tightened up somewhat after th initial week but I dont recall it being this bad.

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

well to be fair, I'm sure there were some that did the same thing with iPad 2.

I am referring to general U.S. supply....some stores lacked excess iPad supply until July.

4. MooseBlood macrumors member

I looked into buying an original iPad wi-fi version mid-July 2010 (that was quite a while after their release right?) and the Apple Store in Salt Lake City had NONE and said I had to call each morning to see if they got any in, and my best bet was to order one from the apple store online and it should arrive in about 1-2 weeks. I gave up on the idea as I thought it was crazy to be that far out in the process and still not have them and have a lady basically snap at me at the store for asking which model they had in stock (I was going to see if they'd hold it and I'd take my wife in and pick it up for our 10th anniversary as a surprise.... now I'm trying for her birthday on this iPad 2 and getting nowhere once again. Why don't they have stock on days that are important to me?!!!!) :)

5. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah same thing happened to me. apple store in mid-july. no iPads in stock...but...shipment of 5-10 did arrive when I was in store...all were purchased within 5 minutes.