iPad 2....Should I or Shouldn't I Buy Now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacSiorNo, Feb 27, 2012.

  1. MacSiorNo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #1
    I know my impatience sounds silly and I know it will be hard for some to avoid replying with something sarcastic but please don't:/. I am seriously asking this....

    And I know, I know...I have read the articles today saying NOT to buy but really, I am just looking to buy a gift for my husband (whose birthday is in a few days) so that he can read the news/politics on it, which he does a lot of now except on a tiny jankity cell phone.

    The iPad I would get would be a wi-fi only version. He is not a person who really cares about keeping up with technology and he only uses my old white Macbook with a blown out battery and his tiny cell phone. I am the one in the fam with the new technology for my work:)

    I have heard the price may only drop by $50. I read the rumored new specs on the iPad3 and it didn't impress me too much. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a huge reason to wait?

    Thank you to anyone who can help with my decision....
     
  2. falcora macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2011
    #2
    You should just get him a $500 apple gift card for an iPad 3. He will have to wait a week or two, but he will be much happier with the new one. It will be faster, have a much higher quality screen, and perhaps have more storage space.
     
  3. MacSiorNo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #3
    Good idea........ :)
     
  4. VinceDae macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2012
    Location:
    Copenhagen
    #4
    :) how sweet (wish for a wife like you one day ;) ...

    I would say that the new iPad maybe would have the advantage of being a much better tablet for reading on, due to the much higher res. display :) - Other then that, I cant see what other features would be worth having (just for reading and casual surfing the web :)
     
  5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

    lulla01

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    U.S
    #5
    waot

    Youll get a great deal on an ipad 2 once the new one is realeased. Or you can get the latest tech with the iPad 3
     
  6. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #6
    This! Last year when Apple release the ipad2, they put the ipad1's on clearance, cutting prices by $100 across the board. Will they do the same? Who knows, but you'll likely find out soon.

    I'd say don't do anything at least for this week to see if a media event is scheduled; if the speculation is true, Apple should send out invites Wednesday or so for a March 7th event. (no guarantees though as Apple hasn't said a word)

    I'd also be cautious about locking into an Apple gift card, as there may be other purchase options depending on who gives the best deal clearancing ipad2's or who you and he choose to go to for an ipad3.

    Finally, although you say he's not prone to keep up with technology, it'd still be a good idea to see what might be the latest before making the choice of which way to go.
     
  7. soupcxan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #7
    1) Buy it from a store that has a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee on tablets (most are 14 days, but there are reputable places that are still 30).

    2) Buy it from a store or using a credit card that has price protection if the price drops.

    If you do both of these things, you'll be covered regardless of what's announced.
     
  8. ArztMac macrumors regular

    ArztMac

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    #8
    Never ever buy any Apple products 1 week before a major revision is going to get released.

    Most often, the new release will be better in every conceivable way while being sometimes even cheaper or at least the same price.

    And the older generation product will ALWAYS get a large price drop.

    So save your money and wait for only a few days.
     
  9. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #9
    Ill be totally stereotypical and say that if you're husband is like any other guy on the planet then he'd gladly wait a week for the cool new toy rather than overpay for the last one.

    But if you really really think he wont want the new model then at least get it at Best Buy where you get a long enough return policy that he can return/exchange/pricematch it if he wants with no restocking fees.
     

Share This Page