iPad 2 SIM card in Canada

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thibaulthalpern, Mar 30, 2011.

1. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I will be travelling to Vancouver in May and should have my USA iPad 2 (AT&T) version before then. My question is how easy is it to get a micro-SIM card for the iPad 2 from one of the iPad 2 network providers when I'm in Vancouver? I think in Vancouver the companies that offer the micro-SIM for the iPad 2 are Rogers, Telus, Bell (and Fido??).

What's the cost of these micro-SIM cards from one of these telephony companies?

2. profets macrumors 68040

It should be easy to get one. If you're close to an Apple store they even sometimes give them away for free.

If you check the carriers' sites you'll see different info for iPad plans. Bell shows the micro sim being free, Telus $10 (or free when activated on iPad data), Rogers $10 (I think).

Either way it should be easy.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

it also shouldn't be any different from what people have been doing in the same situation with ipad1's -- and there are at least a couple threads here with that info. Might be worthwhile to search them out, I think there were some pointers about using prepaid credit cards so you didn't have issues with a non-CDN billing address.

4. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

When I went to Toronto on a trip, I walked into a Rogers and asked for a pre-paid sim, cost me 30 CDN and had unlimited internet the entire time I was there, well actually 30 days but I was only there for 4.

Telus and Fido also offered ipad sims....once you go, keep the sim and you will be able to use whenever you make return trips....

Now if only the bahamas would get a microsim! :(

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

All 3 stores (Pacific Centre, Oakridge Centre and Richmond Centre) were giving the Rogers/Fido/Bell microSIM for free before the iPad 2 launch.

6. thibaulthalpern thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know if one needs a Canadian credit card to buy the micro-SIM? I want to buy the SIM with cash and activate it onsite at the telephony company store because I don't have a Canadian credit card.

On the other hand, someone mentioned pre-paid Canadian credit card. I have never heard of those. Where to get one if I need it?

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

recent

Does anyone know which company offers the best cheapest service for data, for iphone? I'm only going to be in canada a week, but would love to have some data on an unlocked iphone. I can do without calling as I'll use skype and third party SMS apps for communications. Don't need a micro-sim

8. Varoudis macrumors member

Chi2011??

I need one mSIM for one month too!

Tasos

9. Taylor R macrumors newbie

Similicious Sim Cards

I would recommend Similicious, if you are only planning a short term stay.

SIM Card - FREE
    1GB - $24.99
    2GB - $34.99
    5GB - $44.99

They offer prepaid data for travelers that is already activated + they will deliver it, so it will be waiting at your hotel when you arrive.