iPad 2 slow on 802.11n network of AEBS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tbobmccoy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I got home with my new iPad 2 all fired up and ready to download massive amounts of data... when I discovered via a speedtest that my ipad 2 was receiving and sending data out at about .2MBps. When I switched over to the "guest" network on my AEBS, it screamed at 1.2MBps.... anyone have any idea why this would be the case? I did nothing differently between the two networks.... so I'm very confused about what the problem could be. I'd prefer not to run forever on my guest network with the iPad, as I want to use home sharing for music, etc.... any thoughts would be helpful!

2. dread macrumors 6502a

idevices are very picky about wireless networks. Some people have noted that on the aebs it is better to turn off the second channel and run the iPad on G. I just replaced my router after dealing with similar issues and my problems have been solved. I'm using a $59 vizio router and it works well so far. There are dozens of settings that you can change to make the iPad work better. Just google it and you will find some good suggestions.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Think of n as a much fatter but shorter pipe than g, so the n signal will degrade faster over distances, etc. Try this test, join your n network and run 1 test in the same room as the extreme and run it again from the farthest point you use the iPad. Now, repeat the same on the g network.

For me, the iPad on n is horrible far away but pretty consistent speeds on g throughout the house.

If you have a newer extreme, just use the dual band for 2 networks instead of guest and your networking problems are solved.

4. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

The deal was that I was literally 10 feet away in the same room with the adaptor when I ran this test... distance or obstruction shouldn't have been a factor. Hell, my MBP in my bedroom gets full bars on the N network...

Ah well.. I guess I'll have to do what I was thinking about doing before; switching my MBP to the g network when I want to stream and leaving it on the n network when I don't need to stream my music.

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I was just doing a general net search and found your post right here.:) this probably answers my question as to why with my dual-band wifi network setup, the iPad will only maintain full-bar signal strength on my n/b/g network, but not so much on my "n", 5 GHZ.

I was hoping that setting the "n" network to a higher channel would increase the connection reliabilty,(saw this recommendation elsewhere), but did it to no avail.:(

6. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. Quick question - who on earth is your provider, and is your DSL via fiber-optics?? I would be dancing in the streets with those speeds:eek: On a really good day, I am excited to achieve 4.2Mbps down, .7 up.

I still find it perplexing that my connectivity is spotty on my "n" network.:confused: It will keep fluctuating between 1/2 bars. I've seen suggestions on using Open DNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) on the Ipad settings of for that ("n") router.

Anyone else have a different suggestion?:confused: