iPad 2 Speaker

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gymacscuba, Mar 10, 2011.

1. gymacscuba macrumors newbie

Looking at the iPad 2 it does appear that Apple has changed the speaker, can't seem to find anywhere any specifications or comparisons to the original iPad.
    Anyone?

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know.

No-one in their reviews is saying much about it so far.

A few hours ago, I posted a thread on this forum requesting if some people here, hopefully more than one, who buys and iPad2 tomorrow and still has their iPad1 can do some honest speaker comparisons for us all to read.

I'm assuming quality will be about the same as I'm guessing Apple won't have redesigned it internally very much, but the holes for the sound to come out are very very tiny, albeit there are more of them.

Here is my thread/question:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113514

3. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

From engadget review

4. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    iPad 1 had 2 speakers on the bottom that are clear and fairly loud. It worked well in landscape mode if you "cupped" your right hand to direct the sound toward you.
    iPad 2 has only one speaker and it appears to point more toward the back ( away from you). This concerns me as I listen to music frequently while using the iPad.
    The Engadget review said "sound was slightly clearer- but lower volume" on the new iPad. This would be a step back audio wise. Most iPad1 cases would block sound on an iPad 2 also. Some people have really nice expensive version 1 cases already,
    Can anyone that has an iPad 2 please post a comparison???

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What makes you say the iPad2 only has one speaker?
    I did not know anyone had that info yet. I was assuming it would be the same internal speaker unit that was in iPad1.

I agree that cupping your hand around the iPad1 made a LOT of difference.

As with you, I'm worried that the sound will be more directed towards the rear away from you than the current model, which is at least coming out the side and not mostly the back.

I don't think you should need to wear headphones at home relaxing with a large device such as an iPad.

And I'm looking forward, with some worry I must admit, to very honest comparisons.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Here is a very close up photo of the speaker.

God knows why they made the holes so small.
    Sorry I have to say it, but it's a stupid design.

They should of make the holes in the main aluminium case a LOT larger and then fitted a mesh behind it.

Giving a much better hole to metal ratio.

You don't need to be Einstein to see it's something like a 80+% solid metal to 20% hole ratio going on here:

http://photos.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DSC00111.JPG

7. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Why not wear headphones: some people like to hear everything else too, depends on where you are, and maybe you are not alone?:cool:

8. al1cre macrumors member

That design seems to conflict with just about any case that tries to protect the back. Maybe Apple designed their new cover out of necessity.

9. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I think engadget said it was better overall.. with quality.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie