iPad 2 specs: 900MHz dual-core ARM Cortex A9 and PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Q Bert, Mar 12, 2011.

1. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait to see what the iPhone 5 powerhouse will be with the A5.

I mean.. I just recently got into Real Racing 2 HD for iPhone 4...

O_O imagine it 9x better withthe A5...

OMGORGASM.

2. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Weird to me it's underclocked at 900 MHz. When Apple says it's 1.0ghz. Little disappointed by that

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

I find that wierd as well. I wonder if the software benchmarks are reading it wrong or if they're somehow catching it at a clocking point that is slightly below the maximum. Maybe the A5 has something like Intel Turbo Boost technology and will only clock up to 1GHz when needed and when the thermals allow it, which typically is with one core flat out and the other almost unloaded.

If Apple are quoting 1GHz then surely, under some circumstances, it must clock at that rate otherwise, at least in the UK, they'll get fined for misleading advertising and promotional material and be forced to revise their printed materials and any advertisments that mention 1GHz. You can be sure that Motorola, Google or whoever will file a complaint about misleading claims with the necessary authotities because companies do this routinely to disrupt their competitors marketing operations. I'm sure most other major economies around the world have similar laws relating to misleading claims in advertising and promotional materials.

- Julian

5. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I think that's exactly what's happening. Engadget themselves used Geekbench to get the clockspeed earlier and got 800mhz, then Crunchgear/Techcrunch got 894mhz using the same program, and now Anandtech got 900mhz using it again. Judging from the SunSpider result, I personally doubt it's really underclocked.

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Don't a lot of handheld/mobile devices underclcok the CPU or gpu for battery life?

Getting away from apple a bit but I know the psp CPU could be raised to it's full 333 from ~266 after hacking.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Apple know how to optimise the software, which how a first gen iPad can run well with only 256MB of RAM, where other OSes wouldn't even boot.
    So, an iPad 2, running at only 900mhz, with the optimised and efficient software, is as good(if not better than) other OSes running other hardware, IMO.

Edit: What is the plural of OS, anyway? :D

8. webcrush macrumors regular

Did Jobs ever say the iPad RAN at 1ghz, or just that it had a 1ghz chip?

I know its nuance, but those details can make differences in legal issues.

9. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I believe he said it had 1Ghz chip. Regardless based on the result, I'm pretty sure that it does run at 1Ghz in full steam since it's virtually deadheat with Tegra2 in SunSpider. However the benchmark program cannot obtain the accurate result. Other websites using that program had two different clock speed, one at 800Mhz at Engadget, resulting in a big flame war and another at 894Mhz at Techcrunch.

10. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

A Korean analyst claimed the A5 had 512MB LPDDR2 sometime ago and it looks like he was right.

12. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I'm most impressed by the GPU. Relative to the iPad 1, this thing is a damned screamer.

Faster than the Tegra 2 so far, and probably slower than the NGP, not a bad place to be. iPad 2 could be a really big gaming platform.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The key people are missing for the CPU is that it dynamically adjusts speed as necessary. Anandtech reported this when they first ran their tests. Everyone is getting different results because that's supposed to happen.

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

The NGP is using the quad core version of this chip so the performance is sure to be amazing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next iPad as the first tablet with a quad core version. Fun times.