Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Still think the rear camera is idiotic. Anyone who plans to use it: You'll look like a total dick, period.

"ho hum, let me get my cameral out *whacks out iPad*"

Completely idiotic, it seems to be a case of, "why not slap a camera on there - we have a tiny bit of space in that corner anyway".

Agree completely! Front facing is perfect, and needed I feel. Rear facing is just bizarre. How the hell would i take stealth pics of girls on the train with that?

seems like someone has already photoshopped the look I was imagining.

i_am_on_the_phone.jpg

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Hope the owner of the new magical device didn't go to some shady bar afterwards. Would be too bad if he looses there ...

I DON'T WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF THE REAL THING

I want to read rumors, have fun discussing what sounds real and what not - and than have the excitement when it is revealed with 90% of the rumors being dead wrong.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
Come on MacRumors, you usually are very neutral and careful in stories like this.

"iPad 2 Spotted at 'The Daily' News Event".

Really? At least include a "a Reuters employee claims" or something like that in the title. You absolutely cannot vouch for this report, so don't present it like it's facts.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
News Flash! This last Christmas I spotted Santa Clause on top of my house. Really I did! Really! Really! Really!
:rolleyes:

Ummm... Page 2 anybody? Page 50?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Hey all you "this is barely page 2 status" people,

If you don't like it, start your own site. Or, if you wanna complain about this one, use the "Site Feedback" forum.

Or, better yet, ignore it.

I thought the "Post Reply" button existed so we could express our opinions? I guess I was wrong. I'll start sending all my opinions on stories through "Site Feedback".

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
who cares. What I want to know is: will iPad3 have a side-facing camera?

No but it will have a camera inside the dock connector socket. So you can guide it in whilst streaming the video to your Mac or PC with extra accuracy.

No more scrabbling in the dark and trying to force it in backwards ;)

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I read somewhere that the ipad2 would have a removable battery....:D Pahahahahaha. Why would anyone ever want to remove a battery?

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
It's a FAKE!!!

I checked the original rumor, and I can see that it has been Photoshopped, by analysing the shadow pixels down the left hand side and can prove conclusively that it is a FAAAAKE!

:p

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Still think the rear camera is idiotic. Anyone who plans to use it: You'll look like a total dick, period.

Completely idiotic, it seems to be a case of, "why not slap a camera on there - we have a tiny bit of space in that corner anyway".

Cameras are becoming data entry devices, they are not just for pictures in the classical sense anymore. Also, I used to think it was lame to use an iPad as a camera...but I had the same thought when I first saw somebody use a digital point and shoot rear LCD to compose a shot.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Cameras are becoming data entry devices, they are not just for pictures in the classical sense anymore. Also, I used to think it was lame to use an iPad as a camera...but I had the same thought when I first saw somebody use a digital point and shoot rear LCD to compose a shot.

Yes, but the original point and shoot camera's aren't as big as an iPad, and at least are dedicated cameras. The one in the iPad isn't going to be brilliant, and will look like you are waving a clipboard in someone's face.

As for data entry devices...fair point.

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011

i think if people use the ipad's back camera as a real camera, like out on a vacation to snap shots of stuff, then yes, that seems a bit stupid to me. get a real camera.

however, the use of a camera like that on the ipad, the rear-facing camera, isn't really stupid if used correctly, ie augmented reality apps or other apps that will use the ipad's back camera in a cool way we can't even think of yet. THAT is what i'm excited for.

i don't plan on taking photos with it, that is pretty stupid indeed. but apps? who knows what people will come up with in the future with that.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Camera modules are getting small, cheap and good enough that there is little reason not to include one. If it's there and you don't need it, fine - don't use it. If it's not there and you DO need it, you've just lost an opportunity.

Cameras are not just about taking fine/family photos, they're about taking impromptu snapshots with whatever imager is available, and now moreso about digitizing documents, OCR, augmented reality, barcodes, product lookup - all leveraging the iPad's capability if only it has a camera to capture the image.

One competing tablet already has 3 cameras, including a pair for 3D. Heck, stick on four front-facing cameras and it could create a virtual full-3D videophone (watches the viewer's eyes, interpolating and rendering the correct 3D viewing angle). There: I'm up to 8 cameras (front & back) for way-cool effects (near-true 3D, not just stereoscopy) and not even trying.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Could someone fill me in on what this references?

This is an old joke round here...goes back some years, i know. Tried to search the Forums for the original instance, but couldn't find it.

BASICALLY, someone once claimed to have seen an example of an Apple Product (might have been the first flat screen iMac, not that it matters!) and to "prove" it, they had found a boxed example in an elevator, and taken a photo of it, which, if memory serrves me right, showed very little at all.

So subsequent rumoured Apple releases were often jokingly dimissed as being fake, until they saw a picture of the item taken in an elevator.

Funny, eh?

Went into the Macrumors (sic) humour legends alongside:-

"PowerBook G5 next Tuesday.."

"Safari is Snappier.." myths.

Sorry you asked???:D

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Actually the Reuters guy saw an iPad 2 with a front facing camera running flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.