iPad iPad 2?...still worth getting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adamj575, Jun 11, 2013.

1. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

Quick story...I abandoned apple and went with a galaxy s4 and a nexus 10 tablet...at first I was happy and still largely am, however, I do miss owning an ios device...my father has a 32 gig ipad 2 that he will sell me for $250...so my plan is to sell the nexus 10 for 400ish and pocket the difference...my question is, do you all think I will regret the ipad 2?...

2. hafr macrumors 68030

I've got an iPad 2, and honestly I can only see two reasons to why I'd upgrade: if I wanted to play the latest games with the greatest graphics, or edit photos. For everything else, it's definitely fast enough to not cause any irritation, and it's not like non-retina screens are like throwing poo in your eyes... Especially if you don't have a retina iPad next to it for comparison.

Also, the battery is still killer even after more than two years of using it daily.

250 bucks is definitely a fair price for a 32 GB iPad 2 if it's in good condition.

3. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

yes. it's old tech. It won't even get all the iOS 7 features.

4. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I would say iPad mini is better value than the iPad 2. The specs are the same, but the former is lighter and supports Siri too.

5. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

this and I believe the Ipad mini has a slightly better camera than the iPad 2; you might want to research that.

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If it was my dad he would have just given it to me....just saying.

7. ns804apps macrumors newbie

I Like the MINI route cost stays low and you get a smaller device especially if you are going to keep the larger device. with IOS7 announced Apple is pushing consumers to purchase the latest products to keep up.

8. adamj575 thread starter macrumors 6502

adamj575

haha...he has given me countless gadgets and stuff in general over the years....i'm 34 now and wouldn't expect my dad to just give me his valuable stuff...i certainly don't mind paying him for it...and for all the mini comments, ive had one and actually found that i greatly prefer full sized tablets....and knowing me this will actually be a stop gap until i get a new ipad 5 and then hand this one over to my wife...or my 5 year old if he'd rather have this one as opposed to the mini he has now....

9. Razeus macrumors 603

I think it's overpriced. For an extra $100, you get 2 generations (maybe 1.5 generations) of new tech. They completed tried to make it look like iPad 3 never happened. That's for sure.

10. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Get an iPad 1. Wrestling with the 1 GHz processor and 256 MB RAM to do basic stuff such as browsing will, over time, make you a stronger person.

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I'm glad you enjoyed the humor. If that's the case, I would say go for it. You dad probably is looking to upgrade and you can use it as a stop gap until the new one arrives. Besides, I'm sure your wife or kid would enjoy the iPad 2. I have had every iteration of the iPad and I found my family prefers the larger screen over the mini. The mini is good for games but when it comes to text reading there's a lot of zooming involved.

12. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I wouldn't sell the Nexus 10 for an ipad 2, the difference between the two screens will be noticeable. If anything sell & get an ipad 3 or 4 refurb from Apple.

13. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

My Ipad 2 is approaching 1 year and i plan to buy extended warrenty for 1 more year.

I dont think Ipad 4 would give much better exp in gaming anyway, if you are hardcore gamer, u would have gone for dedicated gaming device. Ipad 2 is Jobs' era Ipad so i will stick with it. The idea of Ipad mini is nonsense, Ipad 2 is better and u probably already own smartphone with good camera. Taking photo with tablet looks dumb to me but thats just me.

Ipad 2 is a great get.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have an iapd 2 32GB and I love it. I am glad iOS 7 will come to iPad 2 but not all of cool features I don't mind. I don't need Siri because I am deaf anyway.I wanted to upgrade to iPad 5 because of new form factor and very light. :apple:

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am always amazed people expect family members to give away things as opposed to the person wanting it, pay more than they would a stranger.

Funny how the generosity is expected to be one sided all the time

16. adamj575 thread starter macrumors 6502

adamj575

Just to update, I got the iPad 2 and am very pleased with it...the nexus 10 is gonna go on the bay tonight...unless any of you know someone who would want it...coming from a previous iPad 3 and the nexus 10 the non retina display is kind of a bummer but not nearly as much as I thought it would be...happy with my decision!...thank you for all your thoughts.

17. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

There is nothing wrong with the iPad 2 especially as a stop gap, if you have a Microcenter in town or wish to order on line a 16gb new not refurbished iPad2 will set you back $ 359.00 which is a heck of a lot of hardware for the money.

Regards......Ed

18. ayres macrumors regular

good get...

my 32gb ipad2 (purchased nov 2011) still performs like the day it was bought. i agree with others above that for non-gaming purposes, the ipad2 is still acceptable. games, apps, and movies for my daughter (hence 32gb), and safari, npr, and mail for me...

i even went from iOS 5 to 6 only a few months ago. i held out because of youtube being eliminated. when i finally got around to noticing the update, i did it and realized that my fears/concerns were unnecessary. in fact, i love iOS 5 for one reason alone:

expansion of allowed tabs in safari!!!

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad to hear you are happy with your choice.:D

20. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I'd have to agree with you. I got iPad 2 when it first launched. The only thing I miss is LTE because I'm on the go and use it for my Real Estate business. If I do upgrade, it will probably be to a Mini, and I'd keep my iPad 2 because like hafr says, the battery is still killer.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

It's still a good tablet for surfing and emails. I would keep the Nexus if I was in your position if it was only between those 2 options. If it was me, I would sell the 10 and buy the iPad 4 - wouldn't even think twice about it.

22. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    iPad 2 is nearly obsolete at this point. Save up your money for an iPad 5. Retina plus iOS7 means futureproofing for several years.