iPad 2 stuck after trying to turn it off

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mareyeka, Sep 15, 2011.

1. mareyeka macrumors newbie

Help?
    I was using my iPad2, which I have had since about a month after they came out. Very happy with it, no issues until now. I was trying to open download The Daily (like the crossword :) ) and it started, but then stopped. it wouldn't download. I could get back to the homescreen and my other apps loaded no problem. I tried the Daily again, no go. So I decided to turn the iPad off, as I've had to do once or twice before when something didn't respond.

I pressed the off button on the top and the home button, I got to the slide to turn off screen, which I did, then it went dark. Good - oops, not good. I now have a small timer circle in the middle that won't go away. I can't get it to stop, it's been going now for over a half hour. I've tried pushing on the buttons again, but nothing happens.

My first thought was to let the battery run down and them recharge, hoping that would fix the problem. Any ideas what might be wrong? I haven't added any new apps lately, and the device is used off and on for about 3 hours total over the day, every day.

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Hold the Power button and the Home button together. After few seconds the device will turn off. Let go of the buttons when it turns off. Then, press the Power button to turn it back on.

3. mareyeka thread starter macrumors newbie

won't turn off

Thanks - I did try holding down both buttons. It won't turn off.

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Hold them for longer than 10 seconds!