Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaXimus666

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Dubai
My girlfriend was trying to update her iPad to the latest OS but now she has a black screen with a USB cable and an iTunes cable.

I googled this problem and found out that we have to boot into recovery mode so I turned off the iPad buy holding the Home + Power Off Button for a few seconds,

then I held the Home button while connecting the USB again with iTunes running hoping that iTunes will pop out a message telling me that I am in recovery mode but nothing happens. I don't even hear any sound on my computer when I connect it as if it wasn't connected. I tried different cables and different USB ports.

What am I doing wrong here?

I don't care about the data in it Im fine to reset it I just want it to work

thanks

SomeRandomAnt

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2014
Sugar Land, TX
I do believe that your girlfriend put the iPad into DFU mode and that you turned it off by causing a kernal panic (Power Button and Home Button held together for at least 10 seconds). However, that screen you girlfriend has was the recovery mode screen, and you can back in to recovery mode by turning on the iPad, holding down both the power and home buttons for 5 seconds, release the power button, but continue to press the home button, and then you will have successfully entered DFU (recovery) mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.