Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vausey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Just got myself an iPad 2 yesterday at launch, it works flawlessly, can't complain about it whatsoever.

My main gripe is with iTunes.

Whenever I connect my iPad and begin to sync iTunes just freezes, there is no response from it and I eventually have to go to Task manager and Kill the process.

Now I've tried re installing iTunes. Repair Installing iTunes. I've done a System restore to the 24th March to see if that solves any issues but it still freezes. It works absolutely fine when my devices are not connected, I can play music through iTunes, Download Apps through the App store until my iPad 2/iPhone 4 is connected. It just locks up.

Also after a crash and ending iTunes when I go to re open it, it seems OK, can play music, browse the app store but Windows won't pick up my devices. I've tried two separate cables (One brand new out of the box) and different USB ports on my computer so I doubt that they are the problem??

Screenshot of the problems:

http://tinypic.com/r/eio7f6/7

http://tinypic.com/r/24eaxjc/7

Can anybody shed any light as to whats up :confused:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Are you plugging the iPad into a USB port on the computer or a hub?

Kind of looks like a USB problem and not necessarily an iPad/iTunes.

Check that the drivers are up to date.

After you plug in the iPad and iTunes goes fubar, windows is probably disabling USB due to some sort of problem.

Do you have a different computer to plug the iPad into to rule out any iPad hardware problem?

Last edited:

Vausey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Are you plugging the iPad into a USB port on the computer or a hub?

Kind of looks like a USB problem and not necessarily an iPad/iTunes.

Check that the drivers are up to date.

After you plug in the iPad and iTunes goes fubar, windows is probably disabling USB due to some sort of problem.

Do you have a different computer to plug the iPad into to rule out any iPad hardware problem?

Drivers are generic ones that are installed when device is connected.

Tried it on a laptop that we have and there are no problems whatsoever, I've just tried a separate USB port on this computer and it's gone belly up.

Vausey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Since the iPad works on a different computer, I would assume it's a problem with the computer.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Here's some Apple troubleshooting steps:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

It's a desktop. I'll try the troubleshooting when I get back from work

Funnily enough after iTunes crashes and my computer won't recognise the devices. It also won't recognise any usb devices such as a memory stick without restarting the computer.

EDIT: Ran the troubleshooting, still have the same problems. Appears to be working fine then iTunes crashes. Have to stop the sync on the iPad/iPhone and disconnect it. When trying to reconnect can't recognize USB devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.