iPad 2 Tethering to AT&T iPhone 4/4S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DPOIFVet, Oct 11, 2011.

1. DPOIFVet macrumors newbie

Hello good people! I was just curious to know a few things:

1. Is tethering my iPad 2 to my iPhone worth it?
    2. How are the speeds with full AT&T service?
    3. Can anyone verify if the tethering will be faster with the 4S since it has a substantially more powerful processor?
    4. If I tether to my iPhone, will the iPad be able to use navigation?

Those are all the questions that I can think of for right now. I greatly appreciate any and all assistance on this! Thank you all very much in advance :-D

2. DPOIFVet thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok then. I'm guess its safe to assume that literally not a single person who frequents these forums has tethered their iPad 2 to their iPhone 4.

3. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I frequently tether my iPad (original) to my iPhone 4. Both devices are jailbroken and I use MyWi which is brilliant. I just ran a speed test on my iPhone and on my tethered iPad and got similar results on both - about 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up. (My ATT signal is not fantastic here.) I used the WiFi connection for the test (rather than Bluetooth) so I think the results should be similar to what you would see with the official Apple/ATT WiFi tethering plan.

My experience is that navigation works great on my tethered iPad.

4. meder87 macrumors regular

Tethering your iPhone to your iPad or computer is awesome. To get better battery life I connect by bluetooth. It really is nice to be able to get internet on another device whenever I needed to. Mine was jailbroken but I sold my 3GS. Not sure what i'm gonna do when I have my 4S. I've considered giving up my unlimited data plan to get tethering from AT&T.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I use bluetooth. It maxes out around 1mbps even when the phone is pulling 5mbps. I don't think the 4S gets faster bluetooth, just new capability.

But that's enough for web/email/chat/facebook.

It uses far less battery, has a persistent connection even when asleep, unlike with WiFi.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Tethering an iPad to a smartphone can be useful if one has an unlimited data plan on a phone or simply does not use the full data plan allotment and wishes to avoid purchasing a separate data plan for the iPad.

An alternate approach is to opt for a mobile hotspot that supports multiple devices. In my case, a Verizon hotspot ($99 purchase price; $50 per month for five gigabytes on a two year contract) provides 4G/LTE service for my wifi only iPad and up to four additional devices at the same time.

Download speeds average about 6-10 mps using the portable modem with occasional speeds of up to 15 mps.

7. bniu macrumors 6502a

I tether from time to time with the $45 data plan, it's serviceable for the times when I'm out on the road. I simply switch to the $45 plan when I actually need to tether and when I'm done tethering, I switch back to the $25 plan. Since it's prorated, it comes out to $5/week. Most I've ever tethered was a gig, just can't imagine using up all 4 gigs in a month, 3G is too slow for big downloads anyways.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I do it. It is my hack to get around the restriction of only supporting Wifi for FaceTime. I also tether my Macbook Air too. You should see any improvement the iPhone 4S gives you.

9. DVDxR macrumors regular

I tether my iPad all the time as well. If I am in an area with good AT&T coverage the speed is just fine for most things (including streaming, but that will eat your data allotment fast).

As for the 4S, since it supports faster speeds on AT&T, it should be faster when tethered as well.

Did anyone ever figure out the answer to the Navigation question? I know it came up before when tethering was enabled on iOS

10. DPOIFVet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I will just opt to pay the extra $15/month to get the tethering plan after I receive my 4S.