Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
I think this is a non-issue. Having had both I think the iPad 2 has slightly better, clearer looking text.

Actually, the screen is better overall on MY iPad 2 over MY iPad 1.

bacan1

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Just got my ipad 2 and immediately noticed the difference in the text from my previous ipad, which seemed much sharper. Unfortunately, I've sold my previous ipad, so I can't do a side by side comparison. But I see issue this in pdfs, newspapers that I download through apps and Safari. For me, it's just as much of a problem in landscape as in portrait. Actually, I do a ton of reading on my ipad, so if this doesn't get resolved soon with a software fix or if my eyes don't get used to it, I'm afraid it's going back.

Ridethewave

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Love the iPad, hate my new one. Keeping this going until more people chime in. At this point I would trade my 2 for a 1, no joke. Maybe a bad batch? Weird thing is pictures are perfect as usual

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I checked out the iPad 2 for the first time today at Best Buy. To my surprise, text does indeed look as bad as it is described here. In fact, it is actually a deal breaker for me because I was planning to use it mainly for web browsing and e-reading. For comparison, I checked out the Xoom. While the colors and viewing angles don't look nearly as good, the higher ppi makes text quite pleasant to read and view. At this point, I think I will wait things out and see what Samsung brings to the market in June.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
No problems here either. I do see what people are talking about, but I'm fine with it. Read for three hours on it last night and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Is the iPad 1's display clearer? Perhaps. But, that doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the current display, which in my opinion is pretty darn good.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I couldn't care less if the iPad 1 had the same problem. Actually, it's a shame if the iPad 2 has the same text viewing quality as last year's model. they should do something to fix this. Right now, I get more reading pleasure off my iPhone 4 than my iPad 2. It should'nt be like this.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Since I have an iPad 2 and played a lot with my brother's original iPad (32 GB), I don't notice any difference in text quality between the two. Must be a psychological thiing.... :rolleyes:

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
The iPhone 4's screen is much better to read on (besides the small size).

A desktop computer is much better to bring on the bus every day with me during my 45 minute commute to work (except for the larger size).

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Is it me or the iPad 2 text viewing under safari not as sharp as the iPad 1 screen. I am noticing horrible anti-aliasing around the letters that makes it look kind of grainy and not as crisp. Especially when viewing this website while holding the device in portrait mode.

Just for the record, the jagged edges are called aliasing. The rendering solution to jagged letters is anti-aliasing.

Ridethewave

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
It seems the issue with mine may be the white shadows on the text. Still trying to pinpoint it. Also, was the shadowing on the keyboard always so apparent?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.