iPad(2) texting

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeViAnThans3, Mar 23, 2011.

1. DeViAnThans3 macrumors member

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the market for an iPad 2 (which launches in 2 days over here).
    I haven't had any experience with an iPad yet, but did my part of research the last few weeks.

One part is still something which I'm a little bit troubled about. I'm intend to buy the 3G version, though I'll only occassionally use the 3G feature as I'm wifi-covered both home and at school. I have a pretty cheap mobile internet provider, but fact is, it isn't optimised for iPad usage (yet?). This provider doesn't work with subscriptions, in order to use it, I have to send a text with it's number to activate the mobile data plan every month.

I've found several solutions to send texts on iPad, but each one of them seem to require a jailbreak in order to work. My question, is anyone aware
    of any apps or features which do support this -without jailbreak-? It's just sending, no receiving.
    If not, I probably have to get a MicroSIM to SIM adapter in order to monthly switch it to my phone and send the text and switch again?
    I'm not intending to get an iPhone, so tethering is not an option for me.

Thanks a lot already for your insights! :)

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I used to use a texting app on my iPad called TextingPlus. It's a free app on the App Store.

3. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

I vote google voice. You have to set up a google voice account, but as long as there are numbers available in your area, you should be gravy.

4. danielveeee macrumors regular

i always thought it would be a cool idea to have ipad and iphone automatically connect, and the iphone reads if ur on your ipad and pushes the texts to it so u can respond straight from yoour ipad

5. DeViAnThans3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your replies! :)

I may have to clarify:
    • I'm located in Belgium (Europe)
    • The text message should be sent from the telephone number associated with my (micro-)SIM card ;)

6. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I forgot about that! I use that now. It's probably the best one.

7. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I was about to make a thread asking something similar.

What I want is an app that allows me to receive and send texts from my iPad as if it were my iPhone, using the same number and everything. Even if that means linking it up somehow with my phone.

I never understood the appeal of texting apps that require you to get an entirely new number that you then have to give out to everyone that you then have to somehow let them know when you're using your phone, and want to be texted at your original number, or using your iPad.

Is there anything that does what I want? Jailbroken or not, don't care.

8. djkinetic macrumors regular

djkinetic

I don't think there is an app out there that will use ur Number associated with the Micro-sim especially since ur in Europe, that's a carrier thing, so unless the 3g version of the iPad 2 comes with a built in messaging client ur kinda out of luck. I mite be wrong however.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If you can get Google Voice in your country do that and get the Google Voice app or GV Mobile +. You can even get Talkatone and make Voice Over IP calls using your Google Voice number from your iPad.

10. DeViAnThans3 thread starter macrumors member

I found some methods on a search yesterday, they don't seem to be that easy, but feasable. Can't find all links back, one I did found was http://www.redmondpie.com/send-sms-via-ipad-3g-9140716/

Thanks! I was kind of expecting that, though you never know ... I'll probably just switch the cards once monthly. That shouldn't be that difficult ;)

Thanks for Google Voice suggestions. This kind of may be economically interesting. I didn't even think that far :)

11. Polymira macrumors regular

THIS! When I saw that HP Palm was doing this with the Touchpad and Pre 3/Veer I had a little bit of a freakout as to why no one else was doing this.

12. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

This is what I want. Exactly.

It has to be possible to build an app to do this, no?

13. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Agree 100%, I know its a bit of a thread jack, but I had the same thoughts after seeing it....seems like a no brainer IYAM.

14. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I use AIM for iPad to text. All you have to do is put a plus sign + and 1 and the number in the username and it will send a text to a cell phone. It works great for me.