iPad 2 - The Big Problem

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPad 3, Sep 16, 2011.

?

Do you agree

1. Yes, I dont own an iPad 2

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Yes, While I own an iPad 2 I'm willing to accept its short commings

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. No, I own an iPad 2 and refuse to accept the blindingly obvious

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. iPad 3 macrumors member

Ill keep this really simple, but in my opionion the iPad 2 has the same problem the 3GS had...

Developers are not taking advantage of the hardware.

Its that simple, some do, most don't, they want there apps to work on as many devices as possible.

Exactly the same thing happened with the 3GS, ill tell you what prompts devs to start taking advantge of the hardware though, a screen rez change, when they release a version of the app for the new resoultion it will be made to take advantage of the hardware its running on.

Roll on iPad 3!!

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

It would be stupid for them to develop an app that wont work with older technology when there's still millions of the ipad 1 being used. Why limit yourself in the market

3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Futile poll slanted blatantly towards OP's own opinion.

May as well just have one option that says "Agree with me".

I didn't vote.

4. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Are you yakking on about games? Can you give examples of what apps you believe aren't taking advantage of the hardware? Not saying you are wrong but I'd hardly call it a huge problem. I've got quite a few apps that really work amazingly well for what they do... and they aren't games.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

I just care if developers make Apps I want to use. 'Taking advantage of the hadware' usually means 'something which looks cool at first but is just bloat that'll grind and make the iPad throw a fit, prompting demands for higher hardware (at which point people will complain it's underused again)'. Developers should write below their means.

6. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Couldn't afford an iPad 2 eh? Nevermind.

I personally don't care, my iPad 2 is quicker than my iPad 1 and my iPad 3 will be quicker than my iPad2. What's the big deal? :rolleyes:

7. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

"yakking on", I think I kept it too the point.

Just about all of them, very few are iPad 2 only or say iPad 2 enhanced etc. As a poster said, why would devs want to cut out the ipad 1 owners.

----------

Thats my point, I own an iPad 1 but am struggling to see the justification in upgrading when the ipad 2 is just not being used to its potential.

----------

Exactly.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

as an ipad 1 user, i am glad that few apps are being developed solely for the ipad 2. in fact, i will go further and say that if that started to happen for the 2 or 3 i would probably be less inclined to invest money in the device or the apps. what drew me to apple in the first place was the great support provided to older devices. my ipod 1 actually works better than when i bought it and all of e apps work great.

i don't know what you mean by "take advantage," because the apps seem to be doing some incredibly innovative things, and the market gets better every week. what exactly are you hoping to see that you aren'tgetting?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Real Racing 2 HD is using full iPad 2 power. But it still works with iPad.

In most cases, designing for both iPad and iPad 2 results in a more efficient app.

The few apps that are iPad 2 only uses Adobe software porting, which results in bad performance.

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

As pointed out above, that is a terrible example because it takes no advantage of iPad2 hardware at all. It is a gorgeous game but technically it is a simple point and click game that should be no more demanding on hardware than the likes of Angry Birds. (and people wonder why Apple once tried to force developers not use Adobe framework for apps.)

It should be pointed out though that there are games like Infinty Blade and Real Racing which adds more graphical detail when run on an iPad2. However it will be great to have a game that takes the full advantage of the iPad 2's vastly superior 3D.

13. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

As already stated previously, it's a pretty silly, opinionated poll. I'm a developer (calendar/date app named CalWizrd), and I wrote my app as an iPad only offering since my functionality really needed the larger screen size. I look forward to releasing an improved version taking advantage of a higher resolution display when it becomes available.