iPad 2: The Japan Thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by svalentine, Mar 2, 2011.

1. svalentine macrumors regular

It looks like we are tied yet again to Softbank. In addition to that, on the Apple JP site (http://www.apple.com/jp/ipad/ios4/) it states that 4.3 tethering will not work in Japan! So as of right now I'm torn between buying an unlocked US Wifi+3G version and getting a pocket Wifi/Wimax or just going to Softbank and getting the locked Softbank version, but has 3G ability built in.

What are you guys doing?

2. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

From from Japan, but I'm around if you need some support (;

4. ChrisJPN macrumors newbie

I held off getting the original iPad for iPad 2 so I definitely want to get one but I do think only the 3G version (with eventual jb) is really worthwhile over here. I still think I'll end up waiting to see if they do any more "iPad for Everyone" type deals though. The thought of paying two full Softbank deals each month doesn't please my couldn't-care-less wife.

5. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

For the iPad 2 I plan on buying it outright, unlike my iPhone4, which is about 1500yen a month. I was wondering when you buy it outright are you still under the 2 year contract? Can you upgrade to a newer version without penalty?

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SHL??²; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll be buying on day one once they sell it in the stores. The only reason I'm getting wifi only is because 3G isn't that great. I've had a lot of problem with iPad 1, so I won't be getting the 3G one for sure.

7. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SHL??²; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think getting iPad 2 wifi only + mobile Hotspot will be a great deal.

8. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

I think I may go with the mobile hotspot as well because it is much faster than softbank's 3G service. But the only reason I want the 3G model is for the GPS. So maybe getting an unlocked version from the states will be my best bet.

9. britishchris macrumors newbie

Hey guys.
    Tearing my hair out trying to find out about this, hopefully you guys will have some insight.

The iPad 3G+wifi was locked to Softbank in Japan but outside of Japan it will accept local SIMS of that country, correct? (Jobs said so in an e-mail but I cant find confirmation from anyone else who has done it?)

Is the iPad 2 the same? Locked to Softbank domestically and then unlocked for international use? I can’t even find anything relating to it on the Apple website OR Softbank. I guess I could go and ask at my local shop, but I don’t think that the average countryside store will have any clue about this...

I don’t mind it being domestically locked here but I need to be able to use a SIM from back home, I’m leaving in a few months (impatient, don’t want to wait plus works out cheaper buying it here)

Anyone asked / confirmed this?

Also, I assume that if I pay outright and just get the prepaid data plan i wouldn’t have contractual nonsense (nothign to cancel when I leave the country etc)? Logic states this is right, but we’re talking about *softbank* here...

Cheers in advance.

10. hoanganh macrumors member

living in Japan but I found that 2 years contract with softbank is too long! and somehow expensive to me! so wifi ver with pocket wifi is better (u can use it for other device!)

11. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have some colleagues from India ... They got prepaid contracts with SB but cancelled the automatic renewal ... Just get the 100MB capped contract for 1500 yen first; I still run that but hardly use it complete because mostly use iP4 or be on WiFi.
    Also thinking to get a pocket wifi to be able to use my MBA outside

12. britishchris macrumors newbie

Yeah this is my plan.

Update: I called Softbanks call center and they said “we don’t know if it will work abroad with a foreign SIM card” ...err, well you guys put the lock on, you should know.

Dumbasses.

Anyway more googling and I found this link http://community.mobileinjapan.com/group/ipadinjapan/forum/topics/ipad-2-3g-in-japan-unlocked

So might be okay!

I’ve emailed Steve Jobs to ask for clarification (lol!)