Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moorashj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Just wondering what people think. I have the ipad 2 and it is fine but space is limited as it is the 32gb. Was thinking about the 4 with 64gb and from what I have seen the 5 will be nice but is it really worth holding out for. Thoughts appreciated.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Just You Wait!

Absolutely wait! It's very close to release now. I also have a 2 (at 64 gigs) and am anxiously waiting for a 128GB iPad 5. So hang on! Might as well get the best, this close!!

moorashj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
wait..it is torture:)

I have the 2 and was thinking about selling it and using money to buy 4 as I am going on vacation soon..the bigger issue is my wife's birthday is end of this month and she has my old ipad 1..so I was going to get her the 4 but waiting will be too long for the birthday.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
She's Understanding, Right?

Just tell her you're gonna get her the NEW ONE, even though it will be after her birthday. I think you'll have NO problem!

moorashj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Deegee48

You don't know my wife:) She has been complaining about that thing for a year now...and my luck it won't come out til october

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Well, Yes, But...

You don't know my wife:) She has been complaining about that thing for a year now...and my luck it won't come out til october

You're probably right about October, Moorashj.... So then, just tell her you love her, and ASK her what she would prefer... Buy now, or wait? Problem solved!

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I admire everyone's patience here. I have been wanting an iPad for 1 month. Eventually caved and got a 4th gen. Of course in my case I had to give my iPad off to my mom as I was moving to a new country. Couldn't stay without an iPad any longer!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
iPad 5 looking like mid October/early November. So wait.

iPad 2. If u lived with iPad 2 for 2.5 years u can make it another 2 months.

moorashj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
to wait..really...

Okay so with all the rumors going around about this new ipad I am hearing thinner, a most likely faster running ipad, and better battery..maybe a better camera...

Okay so in response, thinner is nice but at some point they are going to run out of thinness and it will be non-existant:D. Is there really going to be that much of a difference? Faster? Really going to be that much faster? Anything now would be faster than what we have. Battery, always good but is it a deal breaker? Camera, never used the camera on my ipad....so more of a toy part of the ipad.

I'm afraid at some point there is going to be a limit on what these things can do....

Lya

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
You could get her an Apple gift card for her birthday, so it's up to her to wait :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm afraid at some point there is going to be a limit on what these things can do....

Sure, but we are not there yet!

I have the iPad 3, and am looking forward to the rumored thinner and lighter iPad 5. The mini's screen is a bit too small for me, and while the screen size of the 3 is perfect, it gets a bit heavy if I carry it around all day. Since your wife is still using the 1, she is going to be ectastic with how light the 5 is, should she decide to wait for it.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
What I did was got the fourth gen today at RadioShack cause I needed to have an ipad(well more like wanted)

There return policy is 30 days so if I return it next month and then buy another at a different location I'll have an ipad till the next gen releases in most likely October. Evil I know :D

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Sort of in the same boat. I have a 16GB iPad 3 at the moment. I won this iPad over a year ago and 16GB is definitely not enough. I had a 32GB iPad 1 before that and passed that along to my partner. I am now considering moving on to a 64 or 128 GB iPad 4. Part of me is saying to wait for the 5, part of me is saying to get the 4 already.

Since I have an 64GB iPad mini and a 32GB iPhone 5 having the lightning adaptor on everything would be a plus and I have a really nice iPad case from Coach, that if I went with the iPad 5, would probably not work well with.

I can't imagine how much more they can add into the iPad 5 that would make me regret buying a 4. It's already faster than the 3, so that is good. As for the camera, I never use the camera on either iPad that I already have, so that is not a deal breaker. The only thing I could see that would be great would be the new form factor, but then the case I have would not work.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sort of in the same boat. I have a 16GB iPad 3 at the moment. I won this iPad over a year ago and 16GB is definitely not enough. I had a 32GB iPad 1 before that and passed that along to my partner. I am now considering moving on to a 64 or 128 GB iPad 4. Part of me is saying to wait for the 5, part of me is saying to get the 4 already.

Since I have an 64GB iPad mini and a 32GB iPhone 5 having the lightning adaptor on everything would be a plus and I have a really nice iPad case from Coach, that if I went with the iPad 5, would probably not work well with.

I can't imagine how much more they can add into the iPad 5 that would make me regret buying a 4. It's already faster than the 3, so that is good. As for the camera, I never use the camera on either iPad that I already have, so that is not a deal breaker. The only thing I could see that would be great would be the new form factor, but then the case I have would not work.

In that case, why not wait until the 5 is announced? If you decide that the new features of the 5 aren't enticing, you could get the 4 for cheaper than you can get it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.