Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I guess it's because of many reasons. Why sell something that is very outdated for being a tablet...Why pay $400 for something that is 3 years old. Running a heavy os with limited ram. Also the iPhone 4S will be replaced tomorrow with the iPhone 5C 8GB. It makes NO sense to be selling A5 hardware now because think about it...If they are STILL selling it for so long it would have to also run iOS 8 and maybe iOS 9. It's a huge mistake.
The jump from the iPad 2 to iPad Air is huge when it comes to the screen and processor.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I guess it's because of many reasons. Why sell something that is very outdated for being a tablet...Why pay $400 for something that is 3 years old. Running a heavy os with limited ram. Also the iPhone 4S will be replaced tomorrow with the iPhone 5C 8GB. It makes NO sense to be selling A5 hardware now because think about it...If they are STILL selling it for so long it would have to also run iOS 8 and maybe iOS 9. It's a huge mistake.
The jump from the iPad 2 to iPad Air is huge when it comes to the screen and processor.

But they still selling iPad mini first gen. and iPod Touch 5th gen. In would super angry if they not updating these two devices. If they are not update these two device, it is clear planned obsolescence

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Makes sense in every way, as the iPad 4 also comes with the Lightning Connector, so this is also Apple trying to completely phase out all outdated hardware in general.

I also don't see the point of the iPad 2 at this point, especially since supporting it will become costly for Apple as it will mean having to tailor every new update for its old HW.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Ok everyone LISTEN UP! This move is probably the best move they've made in a long time. God only knows why they continued to sell the pathetic iPad 2 afte the launch of the Air? The iPad 4 was/is still very good. I wonder if this is left over stock with iOS 6 on it. If so, it will perform better than the Ipad air.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Finally, all of the schools and businesses that buy the cheaper model aren't getting juked anymore. The iPad 4 is still a decent device. I see this as a move to finally get everything onto the lightning connector.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This much pretty much nails the coffin....the iPad 3 is the ugliest step child of the iOS hardware family.

Apple released the retina screen before there was enough horsepower to power the ipad in early 2012.

I've owned all 5 iPads. The first gen was a trial. Even Apple knew it and discontinued it 18 months later. But the ipad 2, and now the ipad 4 and 5 will have much longer life cycles.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple released the retina screen before there was enough horsepower to power the ipad in early 2012.

I've owned all 5 iPads. The first gen was a trial. Even Apple knew it and discontinued it 18 months later. But the ipad 2, and now the ipad 4 and 5 will have much longer life cycles.
Completely agree on the iPad 3. The GPU upgrade on the iPad 3 was barely good enough to handle the increased resolution. Still, I got a good 11 months use out of the iPad 3 so that's not so bad (upgraded to iPad 4 128GB in February 2013).

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It's only the 16GB version right?

I guess that ok for a low end version, but they should offer at least a 23GB one.

It's a great move though, as everyone here heartily agrees. The iPad 4 is a fantastic iPad.

(Poor fools were actually buying the iPad 2 for $400....yikes)

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
I love my 4 and I'm glad they finally relaunched. Should work for another few years no problems but plan on upgrading when the air2 launches

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's only the 16GB version right?

I guess that ok for a low end version, but they should offer at least a 32GB one.
You can get up to 128GB at significant discount if you check out the Apple Certified Refurbished page. Works just as well and comes with the same accessories and warranty as brand new.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
You can get up to 128GB at significant discount if you check out the Apple Certified Refurbished page. Works just as well and comes with the same accessories and warranty as brand new.

Yeah, the refurb store has some great prices on higher capacity iPad 4. Is there anything that the Air can run that 4 can't? Will such a software/app exist anytime soon?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, the refurb store has some great prices on higher capacity iPad 4. Is there anything that the Air can run that 4 can't? Will such a software/app exist anytime soon?
If there is, I haven't used it. I reckon by the time software is released that the iPad 4's hardware can't handle, it's likely the iPad Air wouldn't handle it much better either.

tasdisr

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007

I was able to pick up a new in box wi/fi - cellular 128gb ipad4 from groupon for $649. (Actually my wife bought it for me)

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
And the iPad 4 had a much better screen than the Air in terms of colour and evenness. If my Air was still in its return period it would be going back for an iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.