iPad 2 - to buy or not to buy!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kaibex, May 10, 2011.

1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I have been an iPhone user for a few years now but sold my Black iPhone 4 about 6 weeks ago but after missing all the music/apps etc. I picked up a white iPhone 4 the other day but am thinking should I just get an iPad 2 instead? I can't justify spending for both so just want to know if you iPad users would opt for iPad 2 over iPhone 4 if you had to make a choice?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hard question.

Are you the type of person that uses a smartphone a lot when out and about? If so, what phone would you be using if you didn't have an iPhone?

For me, I'd chose the iPhone. I'm always running around, and anytime I get stuck waiting for something (in line at the store, etc), I like being able to keep on top of email, RSS feeds, forum posts, etc.

Love my iPad, but I only use that when I'm at home/work. I don't take the iPad when I'm running around doing daily errands.

3. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I would be using a Bold 9780, which is ok but not a great time killer. I commute for an hour each way to work and used my iPhone for video and some apps, which I know would be improved on iPad with bigger screen. I get what you you mean though, sometime if your meeting someone who is running late etc the iPhone is great for passing time.

4. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

IMHO the iPad2 and iPhone are meant to be complimentary to each other rather than replace each other.

I bought my iPad 2 mostly for medical use, but I'm finding a WORLD of customized reading content through the iPad that is just amazing. The official Twitter client is great as a way curating customized information/links/articles from individuals or websites of your liking. Also, Flipboard, Zite, and the grandaddy of readers, Instapaper are all very worthy apps. Instapaper is awesome b/c many apps use its API to allow saving articles to read offline. Also Instapaper has a nice editor's picks section.

Then of course, you have the advantage of laptop like functions, games, video, etc with the iPad2. I would highly suggest getting the iPad2 with the intent for mobile internet (either tethered to your Smartphone, or a dedicated 3G iPad) if you are a commuter.

The iPhone, is more of the best of ultimate mobility, and function, but it can be a pain to read on there or watch movies/TV shows for more than 30min.

5. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

That's a tough one. Can you get an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1?

I have to say probably my first choice would be the iPhone - just becuase I don't go anywhere without it. My iPad comes with me to work, goes on trips but the majority of time is at home in my living room. It was nice to have for my wife though when we were getting the oil changed.

The only thing I'm truly missing not having the new iPad is the new design and extra memory for the browser.

But if it comes down to an either or, no substitutions - then the iPhone for me.

6. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I could do, but iPad 2 look more appealing to me. I have decided now to get the iPad, thanks for advice from those who replied. Now the difficult part of tracking one down :mad:

7. macrat macrumors regular

Good choice. I just got me the 32g iPad 2 and I currently own the iPhone 3GS. It's a good combo because I keep all the music on the iPhone instead of the iPad and guess what I hardly use the iPhone now except for taking/making calls. If this trend continues I may not even go for the upcoming iPhone 5. The iPad size is not that big that I can take it with me anywhere I go. By the way I got lucky with the iPad 2 through Walmart by stalking their online iPad inventory. When you see it on their site, don't even call, just drive out and buy it quick. :) (Ooops just noticed that you are from the UK so disregard the Walmart part.)

Also check out the Yoobao case. It's only $39 at Amazon and full leather!

http://www.bighugenerd.com/1/post/2011/04/yoobao-executive-leather-case-for-ipad-2-review.html

8. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Thanks for the tip about the case. I know it won't be that easy, I went to a few places today and almost went for the 16GB but resisted, 32GB or 64GB is what i'll go for, probably 32GB as I won't need my whole music library on it.

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Easy... iPad 2

ATT costs are bleeding me dry. Three phones, only one the iPhone, 200 a month.
    For a damn phone.
    Doesn't that sound like I am insane?
    Yes, yes it does.

10. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell your black iPhone in the first place?
    Anyways, yeah, I'd get the iPad 2 :)

11. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I originally sold iPhone 4 as I use the 9780 for work and didn't feel as though it was worth while me having both as I started to use 9780 for ALL my calls. Then as soon as iOS was gone..... :( haha