iPad 2 to gave anti glare screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MaxPower49, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxPower49, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011

MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

First time I have seen this mentioned, but it would be a welcome improvement IMO. I found the glare on my current iPad really aggravating before I added a powersupport anti glare protector.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/9To5...ersions-ipod-touch-cameras-1024-x-768-display

mod note: please continue discussion here

2. WLS, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

This:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._ipad_2_components_5_million_unit_supply.html

nalyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities has prepared a report indicating that iPad 2 won't get higher resolution screen this year, using the same 1024x768 of the original iPad.

"The improvement of iPad 2 display," the report notes, "focuses on thickness and anti-reflection, not resolution. iPad 2 display module is 30~35% thinner than iPad 1 and it’s helpful for a better form factor. (Thinner!)

"Thanks to anti-reflection, iPad 2 could have better sunlight readable experience and it's helpful for Apple to compete with Amazon's fast growing Kindle business.

"The most important reason why iPad 2 won’t have retinal display is yield rate of panel making. At this point, making high resolution and bright IPS/FFS panel is not easy and the production volume and cost couldn’t meet Apple’s requirements."

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Now we are finally getting somewhere from that retina BS crap that people have been hoping and dreaming for on 499 dollars tablet device. No F way apple will put retina display above 1080P resolution on 9.7 inch display this year. No way.

iPad 2 will add camera, dual core and more ram. The screen will be slightly brighter and it will be a lot better for reading from direct sunlight.

This makes a lot more sense and it looks like this is the iPad 2 that is coming from apple in April 2011.

Retina Display is for iPad 3 and beyond.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given apple's propensity to use glossy screens in all of its products, I'd not give too much credence to this rumor

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Living in the Ireland, we don't get enough sunlight for glare to be a problem.

6. Hawke macrumors regular

lololololol

well.. around summer it can be an issue especially when sitting outside in the garden

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So one month then? :D

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

Ah yeah, those three days a year when you can use it outside are difficult alright...;-)

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

As a former iPad owner now using a Nook Color for everyday eReader tasks, I can assure you that an anti-reflective screen coating can still render a display quite glossy. The Nook Color is quite readable even in direct sunlight whereas my iPad was useless for any purposes other than that of a signal mirror for same. In dim lighting, both units looked about the same, although I still prefer the smaller, paperback-sized Nook Color for this purpose.

I think glossy and anti-reflective are not mutually exclusive terms with the right technology.

10. elan123 macrumors 6502

and you don't use indoor lighting...?

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I would definitely welcome an anti-glare display - preferably fully matt (but I can't see that happening). The glossy iPad screen never bothers me except when I'm trying to read an e-book - then it is terrible.

12. Hawke macrumors regular

As the owner of an ereader, anything that uses LCD such as iPad, Nook Colour etc would not inpress me, as e-ink is the best when it comes to dedicated reading, as it looks brighter in direct sunlight, and when am reading in bed, my case got a little light attachment which is easier on the eye as opposed to the glowing of the LCD screen.

For me the iPad wouldnt be for reading books... I'd prefer using it for browsing through magazines, comics (lol), videos, reading emails, my portfolio, etc... but for reading books... no, in general, reading over a long period of time without the issues of LCD is all ready tough as it is.. adding the glossy screen at day and glowing lantern effect at night, makes it even more difficult, and I am speaking from experience as I am a hardcore book lover.

And in reply to the topic.. I would certainly welcome an anti-glare screen, especially as i am planning on using my device for watching movies and reading emails when i go travelling during the summer, but that's mainly it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.