Ipad 2 to have high contrast epaper dual mode display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tandeh, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tandeh macrumors regular

hi this video made me wonder if she's talking about Ipad 2 - 9.7" and 7", as they normally make 10" displays, but now have 9.7" (hicgh contrast and excellent viewng angles) and 7" orders and in the interview when asked about apple she says if u work for apple u cant say anything, see the video of Pixel Qi's Mary Lou Jepson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2hXFOyf9pE

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Jobs has been highly critical of 7" tablets so that's not going to happen.

Also the exact details of the iPad are not known, and only when apple announces the iPad2 will we know the the specs. As a guess, I'd say we'd not see any such function.

4. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Having the normal iPad screen and epaper on the same screen is impossible I think.

5. tandeh, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

tandeh thread starter macrumors regular

Firstly watch the video, google notion ink adam, you CAN have dual mode display pixel qi is the only company in the world that makes them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2hXFOyf9pE

watch the video carefully especially at around 6:15. quote : "well eh we can't talk ehm, if your working with Apple you can't talk abou it"

secondly this is just one link but there are strong rumours of a 7" ipad2:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/26/next-ipad-likely-to-get-a-new-screen-front-facing-camera-usb-p/

also on 7" tablet:

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/12/30...ompany-will-need-to-do-a-7-inch-ipad-to-fill/

rumours suggest jobs may change his mind, they have before

Remember no one does 9.7" (4:3) in a tablet as far as i know, and apple thinks that the perfect size for a tablet,

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

A PixelQI screen in an iPad would be really awesome, but I see three points that they would have to meet before Apple would use them:

1) Price. I don't know what PixelQI charges device manufacturers for screens but the ones that you can buy to use in your own projects or retrofit your own devices are quite expensive and would eat up all of Apple's profit margin.

2) Quality of the screen in "indoor" mode. Apple prides itself in the IPS screens that they use in the iPad and iPhone, I don't think that they would sacrifice that just to add the outdoor viewing mode.

3) Production capacity. Apple needs to be able to reliably product millions of these screens every year. I'm not sure if PixelQI can build them in these qualities yet.

I also kinda feel like, if Apple were going to bet big on this screen tech, they would have already just bought PixelQI and started working with the technology and manufacturing processes themselves.

7. tandeh, Jan 11, 2011

please watch the video it answers all the questions, she mentions:

1) the screens become cheaper as they produce more.

my comment: Someone like apple do not buy at consumer prices, they have to trade in economies of scale, so an ipad order would be probably as cheap as lcd if apple give big enough order to the FAB. pixel qi do not need to make the screens they can make a custom exclusive one for apple and license that design to them so they can fab it themselves with their preferred fabber.

2) 3 screens they are making, 7" 1024 x 600 (or similar) that they showed off.
    10.1" which is already in Adam tablet, but will get HD 1200 x 800 screen.
    Then 3rd screen she mentions 9.7" (no mention of res) just 'super high contrast', with 'excellent viewing angles', 'saturated colour' , 'like an ipad screen' 'plus sunlight readible', 'plus super low power'. Also they have access to CPT, the 2nd in the world manufacturer of screens (output 40 million a month).

remember Apple does not own the fabs they design and then get it fabbed, Pixel Qi do not fab they design screens and then can fab them at any facility that makes LCD, so if they worked with aple as she hints, then all they have to to is design the 9.7" screen,at super high contrast,saturated colour, '170+ degree viewing angles', and probably a really high res screen. also although Apple loves their screens (which is still possible with pixel qi) they love to boast about battery life, and pixel q gives a big boost.

Please watch the video before commenting, as most questions are answered.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I didn't say that those things could not or were not achieved. I just meant that those are the things that Apple would have to really truly verify themselves and be satisfied with before they changed to tech like this. I still feel like Apple would have just bought them already if they wanted to use their screen designs. That way they're the only ones who have them.

9. RKpro macrumors 6502

That 9.7 inch screen she is gloating about is something interesting indeed. If they have a 10" 16:10 model why go through all the trouble of making a different 4:3 model that is 0.3 inches smaller? When instead they could have just used additional economies of scale to pump out 10 inch 16:10 panels for the torrent of Android tablets.

I'm sure it's something Apple has at least considered if they are taking their ibooks business seriously. But I doubt the backlit mode will be as good as the ips tech in the current ipad screen though, and Apple will not want to downgrade that experience, and offering both types of screens would make the product line way too broad.

10. Spiterwolf, Jan 11, 2011

Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

Apple

Apple won't keep the screen size the same (the must increase portability). If they don't then they should just make the ipad into a macbook with a touch screen instead.

11. tandeh, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

well i know its not the same scale, but apple did not bbuy LG for the retina display, they did not buy samsung for the humming bird based A4, they don't need to buy them as they already have invested billions with toshiba and other large display fabs, they just need them to design an exclusive 9.7", remember she does not describe the 10.1" in tha same way as the super contrast, saturated, low power,ipad like etc.

If Apple has got them to make them an exclusive screen, even if other competitors get the standard pixelqi, it will be like oled vs Super Amoled plus (which samsung is again making exclusive to themselves) diffrentiation

i just hope it really happens, as that would make Apple steal kindle's market space, most people would not want a monochrome kindle when they can get ipad 2 with epaper transflective modes with full refresh rates.

12. tandeh, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

thats why the rumours say apple after seeing samsungs sucess with 7" is considering that size aswell, Jobs saying "he would have to sand his fingers" does not count, he also said it would be dead on arrival, he was completely wrong and hypocritical as iphone is half the size. he was just digging galaxy tab to probably influence sales

Apple knows that if Samsung with android; not even made for tablets can make a dent in their sales, what will happen when Honeycomb gets released.

Apple can't just let android take the 7" space, the woman also hints at a very big customer for the 7", i can only think Apple again, as Samsung already have SAMOLED and make it, LG already has Retina, so make it.That leaves motorola, who already have a 10" tablet. from the big boys the only one that would be left is probably Nokia, who are not even in the tablet space.

:apple:

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

there will be no 7" iPad in the foreseeable future. Most people don't want it (i know I wouldn't) and it would diminish the iPad brand. Maybe in three years when Apple decides the 10 inch market is saturated.

The Pixel QI screens are cool but in no way near the video quality that the iPad has. The iBook market is not big enough to make a compromise on indoor screen quality for that. Especially since you can easily buy a $129 kindle for reading outside.

14. tandeh thread starter macrumors regular

i'd rather wait and see than make definitive statements like that, how can you say that the pixel qi is not good enough for Apple when they have not even released the full specs or even shown the 9.7" version. ;):rolleyes: you're already berating a product that has only been mentioned, remember the pixel Qi stuff on show is a derivative of the OLPC concept. where screen durability,sunlight readability and battery life were part of the initial brief.

she mentions a different direction just for the 9.7" screen, THEY DID NOT SHOW IT AT CES. I hope that's clear. also which part of: "super high contrast", "saturated", "170+ degrees viewing angles)" "like an Ipad screen but with low power and sunlight readability" did you not understand.

some people on here it seems do not even watch the source video properly and jump to conclusions. i would rather wait and see, and then compare the 9.7 screen, whichever manufacturer gets it, i just hope it's a custom one made just for Apple.

15. Rimsha42 macrumors newbie

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't know why this thread is being revived 9 months later, but we might as well update the original post. The OP was wrong. The iPad 2 did not receive the Pixel Qi screen. However, Pixel Qi has recently been backed by 3M, so maybe we will finally see something mass marketed and affordable.

For several years now we have been waiting for Pixel Qi or Mirasol to put something in our hands, but so far nothing but vapor. I have no knowledge of the industry beyond what I have seen in news reports and heard from beta testers, but this kind of delay suggests either price or quality control issues. At any rate, I haven't heard anyone say that the displays compare favorably to regular LCD screens, and certainly they won't do well against an iPad with retina display, so I am not holding my breath.

iPad 3 with retina display? Let's hope so.