Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neile45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Is it worth upgrading, I only use it web browsing, email, games, etc.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K

Absolutely, You'll gain.

- The new ultra thin design.
- Retina Display
- A8X Chip (Around 600% Faster GPU, 300% Faster CPU)
- Far Better iSight and FaceTime Camera's
- Dictation/Siri
- LTE (if you go Cellular)
- Lightning Connector
- Touch ID

Plus some other stuff.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If your iPad 2 works fine, I wouldn't :p

My iPad 2 works perfectly fine, and does everything that the new iPads do (besides a few little things) so I'm waiting for the Air 3 or 4 :)

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
I just did yesterday. Best buy bought my iPad 2 wifi 16g for $200. I guess it's worth having it for when we travel. iPad 2 was so laggy already

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
You won't really notice what you were missing out on if you don't upgrade. It's when you upgrade that you're happy you did. Almost every device is better than the previous one. Almost as in I'm not so sure I would say the iPad 3 was totally better than the previous model.

neile45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I just did yesterday. Best buy bought my iPad 2 wifi 16g for $200. I guess it's worth having it for when we travel. iPad 2 was so laggy already

Best Buy gave you $200? If they do that, I most definately will, we have a 16gb iPad 2 wifi.

CyberManiaK

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
I did it and it's worth. Sure the form factor is different but the major upgrade for me was the 2gb of ram. I do a lot of web browsing, facebook by its's own and page managment, emails, and need to constant switch between apps to get notes, copy and paste between apps. On my ipad 2 which i still own doing this "heavy" work the apps and safari constantly were refreshing making me loose everything on the previous app. Now with the air 2 i can do that without any problems.

Also keep in mind that some apps are getting updated for ios 8 and ipad 2 can't handle it very good.

You can get one and if you don't feel it was worth just return it. But trust me it is worth.

Good luck

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Best Buy gave you $200? If they do that, I most definately will, we have a 16gb iPad 2 wifi.

It's a promo they're running when you upgrade to a new iPad. From what I've read, they give you a $150 gift card + a $50 coupon to put towards the iPad.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i came from a 4 i loved to death and i too really just browse, facebook, and netflix, and i loe it as much as my 4.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California

It's a promo they're running when you upgrade to a new iPad. From what I've read, they give you a $150 gift card + a $50 coupon to put towards the iPad.

Yeah it's a promo until 11/8/14. $50 of it has to be toward the iPad 2 air and the other $150 is put on a gift card. When I did it, the girl at bestbuy took my charger. When my mom took hers today, a different girl was there and said they don't need the charger. Oh well, not like I had use for it anyway lol

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Absolutely, You'll gain.

- The new ultra thin design.
- Retina Display
- A8X Chip (Around 600% Faster GPU, 300% Faster CPU)
- Far Better iSight and FaceTime Camera's
- Dictation/Siri
- LTE (if you go Cellular)
- Lightning Connector
- Touch ID

Plus some other stuff.

I think the performance gain for the GPU is much much more than 300%, since it's already 2.5x faster than the Air.

Attachments

• Screen_102714_043619.jpg
    Screen_102714_043619.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 88

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014

I think a better cheaper upgrade for you would be the iPad Mini 2 32GB $349

It'll be more fun to do those things and you'll take that little guy everywhere.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
If your iPad 2 works fine, I wouldn't :p

My iPad 2 works perfectly fine, and does everything that the new iPads do (besides a few little things) so I'm waiting for the Air 3 or 4 :)

Looking at your 'sig' it doesn't look like you upgrade very often! ;)

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013

For games, probably. The new iPad has a 64 bit processor, 4x more ram, and a retina screen.

It doesn't offer anything truly spectacular beyond your current iPad, but if you notice your games starting to lag and your iPad doesn't perform well with newer games, it'll be because of old internals.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011

It is like comparing horse to the modern car in speed. Nothing matching ipad air2 litterally. I still have ipad2, my son is playing with it and it is real workhorse, aging workhorse :) Air2 is just jumping out of screen in speed! I got it this morning and even after original Air it feels faster too. More memory means should be less crashes on Safari, touch id, reading better outside with the new screen. All these is worse 100%. I hate that I need new case because air case is too fat and sound buttons/camera doesn't match in position, but it is minor.

Last edited:

liquorice

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Surrey
I have upgraded from an iPad 2 to the iPad air 2 and certainly notice the difference. It's not just gaming everything is faster.
I can now swap between aps running in the background and they don't have to restart as they did on my iPad 2 .

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I did this tonight. The Air 2 is much faster and the screen is a lot sharper.

My 2 was struggling with apps like Facebook. The Air 2 processes it a lot faster.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
It's a big improvement, especially if you are running iOS 8 on the iPad 2. Everything is faster. Everything!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm debating this myself. I know it's a big upgrade in many ways, but I really only use it for video like Netflix and reading books. Not sure how the air 2 would do those things better than my iPad 2.

I still run ios 6, so overall speed is fine.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
It is like comparing horse to the modern car in speed. Nothing matching ipad air2 litterally. I still have ipad2, my son is playing with it and it is real workhorse, aging workhorse :) Air2 is just jumping out of screen in speed! I got it this morning and even after original Air it feels faster too. More memory means should be less crashes on Safari, touch id, reading better outside with the new screen. All these is worse 100%. I hate that I need new case because air case is too fat and sound buttons/camera doesn't match in position, but it is minor.

I have upgraded from an iPad 2 to the iPad air 2 and certainly notice the difference. It's not just gaming everything is faster.
I can now swap between aps running in the background and they don't have to restart as they did on my iPad 2 .

You guys are making my buy finger twitch. I'm trying to hold off for the holidays to swap out my iPad2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.