iPad iPad 2 to iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rodster, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm thinking of trading in my iPad 2 at Best Buy this Monday. Is there any lag of the UI, animations or screen roll? I notice all of the above with my iPad 2 running iOS 7.

Is the Air as smooth running iOS 7 as the iPad 2 was running iOS 5 or iOS 6? :confused:

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The UI is silky smooth and I don't notice any lag. What kind of UI lag are you talking about?

3. Rodster thread starter macrumors 68040

I was referring to the 5 finger pinch and how the icon animation kind of lags before the all stop moving. It just doesn't look fluid.

The other issue I have is the screen roll from portrait to landscape view, there's a certain amount of framerate stutter.

4. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you go to an Apple store and see for yourself? It seems to me that your definition of "smooth" is going to be different than someone else's.

5. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

There is a hitch in the animation still on my Air. It is almost EXACTLY the same frame where it stuttered on my Mini, so I assume it's still iOS 7 having issues regardless of clock speed.

I have suspicions that animation would lag even if given an SLI Titan setup until Apple provides proper optimization for the iPad. Maybe we can hope 7.1 magically smooths our animations. On the phone/touch the icons coming in from all directions only happens on unlock and has less moving objects. Since we can trigger it with the gesture on the iPad and it's animating more, possibly it's just been harder to get right AND more noticeable since users gesture back to home more than we unlock.

6. JGWolven macrumors regular

There is some stutter still that seems like its ios7 rather than the hardware being used. A good example is the drop down spotlight feature. It will always get caught the initial time. Annoying. The Air would still be an incredible upgrade.

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yes it still lags. Most things that produce stutter or jag in your iPad 2 will still happen on any other iPad including the iPad Air, as mentioned by many iPad Air owners. The problem is with how unpolished iOS7 is. The pinch out lag specifically is still very much a thing, but it's not awful on the air.

What you will notice is that that although the lag and stutters are still present, all other transitions appear much smoother due to the spec bump from the air.

----------

Although crazy to think about (having lived in the city, or suburbs - my entire life), some people do not have an apple store within 30 minutes of their house :rolleyes:

And although everyone's definition of smooth is different, I am one of those picky people who knows exactly what he means by his post, and so have provided an appropriate post which should help him with his/her decision processes.

8. Rodster thread starter macrumors 68040

I wish I could but the nearest stores are 2.5 hours north and south of where I live.

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. I'll wait for now as I have NO problems with my 2 other than the performance issues i've outlined. :)

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It still lags.