iPad 2 to iPad Mini or iPad Mini Retina?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CtotheP, Apr 28, 2014.

1. CtotheP macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards the Retina just because if you're going to buy a newer model, you go all out to keep you legit for a number of years going forward.

My wife has an iPad 2 and needs a Cellular version for her new job. The difference in retina vs. non-retina is almost half, but I recognize the benefits of the Retina include the A7 (vs. the A5 which is also in the iPad 2), retina display, etc.

For normal Sales-type job activities, would there be a real justification of one over the other?

Thanks in advance

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The key justification in going with the second generation (retina) iPad mini over the first generation iPad mini is A7 versus A5. Apple never made an A6-based iPad mini and the A5 is, sadly, already showing signs of aging in many of Apple's products that use them. The A4 aged least gracefully in the iPad, so it's safe to assume that it will do so for the iPad 2 as well and the mini thereafter before the iPhone 4S and fifth generation iPod touch go there as well. So, yeah, iOS 7.1 runs fine on an iPad mini today, but not as well as iOS 6 did, and nowhere near as well as a retina iPad mini would.

Long story short, just get the retina model and call it a day.

3. mjohnson1212 macrumors member

The iPad mini is just as slow as the iPad 2. Get the retina so it's actually an upgrade.

4. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

agreed, the mini and ipad2 are the same, spec wise. the retina screen is such a pleasure to look at, you won't be able to go back to "normal" screens ;)

5. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Retina would be the way to go. Better specs (not just resolution) all around. I just wish the retina models were $299 and the almost 2 yr old model was $199. Never gonna happen though.