iPad 2 TV tuner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sumone, Oct 9, 2011.

1. sumone macrumors regular

Just was thinking that it would be nice if the iPad 2 had a TV tuner. I wonder if Apple will ever consider adding it in the future. Is there any way to get TV on the iPad2 without an internet connection?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you have Comcast Cable they have a tuner app for the iPad.

3. sumone thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have comcast but if I did are you saying that the app would allow me to watch TV away from home without an internet connection?

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

No. Neither away from home nor without an internet connection. There are hardware+software solutions that enable you to access your cable box from the iPad but they require hardware attached to the TV/cable box and an internet connection on the iPad.

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

This might come close to what you want: www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_broadway.html

However, it's probably not as portable as you would like. It must be plugged in and requires an external antenna and a WiFi router. If your iPad is jailbroken, running MyWi on it could probably take the place of the router.

As a bonus, this device also acts like a SlingBox to broadacst your video sources across the internet to a remote location.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This was announced earlier this year: Elgato iPad TV Tuner.

I don't think it is out yet, but it seems it is just what you are looking for.

7. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Amazon UK have it for £85