Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Any guesses on the UK price? Will it go back down to £429 for the wifi 16gb?

And how about garageband and imovie? what prices we expecting for them? and will they be available in the UK on 11th March?

Also, just seen that HMV have a placemarker on their website for all the wifi ipad 2's and curry's are expecting to have them on March 25th. Any other shops we are expecting them at on release day to avoid those huge apple store queues?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I would guess it will stay the same price as the iPad 1 was pre-announcement. That said the base price in the US is $499. Convert that to £ and add VAT at 20% and we get to about £370… Unfortunately I doubt it'll be that cheap :(

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Base model 16GB wifi will start at £439 (VAT increase) as far as I aware, all the pricing will be the same.

I predict that iMovie and GarageBand will be £9.99 each on the UK App store. Not sure if the apps will be on the Uk store before the 25th.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
If it's anything like the MacBook Pro refresh, Apple will absorb the VAT increase and pricing will return to the pattern it was when iPad 1 was released.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Base model 16GB wifi will start at £439 (VAT increase) as far as I aware, all the pricing will be the same.

I predict that iMovie and GarageBand will be £9.99 each on the UK App store. Not sure if the apps will be on the Uk store before the 25th.
Steve said that iMovie will be a universal app, so whatever price the iPhone app is currently, is what it should stay as, and GarageBand will be the same price as that.
I'm sure the iPhone app will become a universal one, after an update, that should become available very soon.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
iMovie and Garageband will be £5.99

Is it definite that Curry's will have it in stock? If so I won't bother pre-ordering and just head to my local megastore to pick one up.

Dr Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Comet as well

http://www.comet.co.uk/

I get 10% off with comet from work so looks like I'll be picking mine up from there later on.

They also have discount vouchers floating around the net. i.e 5% off if you spend over £300 or 7% off if you spend over £600 which can be used for reserve and pickup in store.

Add 2.5% cashback if you use and track from Quidco and you could be looking at some nice discounts. :)

Last edited:

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Comet as well

http://www.comet.co.uk/

They also have discount vouchers floating around the net. i.e 5% off if you spend over £300 or 7% off if you spend over £600 which can be used for reserve and pickup in store.

Add 2.5% cashback if you use and track from Quidco and you could be looking at some nice discounts. :)

Thanks for the tip, do you have any site URL's of the offers, I'll have a look around Google aswell.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks for the tips guys.

Anyone know a way of getting money off at Comet? ie. in store?

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Any guesses on the UK price? Will it go back down to £429 for the wifi 16gb?

And how about garageband and imovie? what prices we expecting for them? and will they be available in the UK on 11th March?

Also, just seen that HMV have a placemarker on their website for all the wifi ipad 2's and curry's are expecting to have them on March 25th. Any other shops we are expecting them at on release day to avoid those huge apple store queues?
Ummm, it has already been said that the pricing and capacities are identical, so this thread is effectively redundant.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Ummm, it has already been said that the pricing and capacities are identical, so this thread is effectively redundant.

Comet discount codes are listed here. http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/discounts/comet.co.uk

At present none of them are valid on the 25th March, but looking at previous codes they just get re-newed after each one has expired.

Spend over £300 get 5% off, over £600 7% off. Not a bad deal.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010

so $5=£10? :rolleyes:

in the same way that imovie for iphone is priced, the $5 should convert to £3

ConnorTurnbull

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
United Kingdom
The MacBook Pro went down to pre-VAT-rise price so I reckon it'll start at £429.

And I don't know what one of the commenters above is talking about, but the apps will be £2.99 each. iMovie is already available and is just waiting to be updated to fit iPad 2.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Comet discount codes are listed here. http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/discounts/comet.co.uk

At present none of them are valid on the 25th March, but looking at previous codes they just get re-newed after each one has expired.

Spend over £300 get 5% off, over £600 7% off. Not a bad deal.

Very nice thanks, I'm planning on getting 32gb 3G iPad which should be about £600 so 7% off will do very nicely, I assumed that those were just for online ordering though?

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Very nice thanks, I'm planning on getting 32gb 3G iPad which should be about £600 so 7% off will do very nicely, I assumed that those were just for online ordering though?

Nope, you can use the vouchers on the website and choose the reserve and pick up in store option. (if its available for the item you want)

I used the same process to pick up a MacBook Pro from Comet. I got 10% off from work, added another 7% off from the vouchers which can be found online and then tracked a further 3% from Quidco. (its now 2.5%)

The MacBook pro at the time was £1020 but after all discounts i paid just under £800. All done online but paid and picked up from store.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Nope, you can use the vouchers on the website and choose the reserve and pick up in store option. (if its available for the item you want)

I used the same process to pick up a MacBook Pro from Comet. I got 10% off from work, added another 7% off from the vouchers which can be found online and then tracked a further 3% from Quidco. (its now 2.5%)

The MacBook pro at the time was £1020 but after all discounts i paid just under £800. All done online but paid and picked up from store.

Brilliant thanks, will give that a go when Curry's put it online for pre-order

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
John Lewis will be selling them on launch, no pricing yet but they were selling the first gen iPad (16GB) for £429 before the price dropped this week and presumably they'll follow Apple's RRP which will supposedly be identical. I'll be picking mine up from here, 12% employee discount [=

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I'll probably be buying mine in the US when I go there right before the 25th.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.