iPad iPad 2 Update to iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misakimyumyu, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Misakimyumyu macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

First Off, sorry I am an absolute noob, so please dont get mad at me if I ask stupid questions.

I have an iPad 2 which still Runs on iOS6, because I didnt feel the need to Update it. However now, that some Apps wont work anymore, I want to Update to iOS7 only and not iOS8. You max think that there is no differente, but I read many Reports and stuff, that the iPad will Slow down drastically with iOS8.

So is there any possibility to Update to iOS7? It doesnt need to be an official possibility, I dont have jailbreak but if that would help me get iOS7, I would be really happy if you could explan how I can do that :)

Thanks!

2. SWD macrumors member

Just plug the iPad into computer and update to 8.1 from iTunes. Or go into the settings and update from the iPad itself. We have 2 iPad 2s and they run fine. It's slow because it's older hardware.

There might be a technical way to get to ios7, but it will be more complicated. You may have missed the boat by skipping it last year.

3. Misakimyumyu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but this is not helping me. My friend also upgraded her iPad and its basically ruined because of iOS8.

Anyone else who could help me?

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I have a mint iPad 2 32GB running 7.1.2 I'd trade for yours on 6.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

There is no way to put iOS 7 on your iPad. The only option is to stay where you are or put 8 on it.

6. Misakimyumyu thread starter macrumors newbie

Isnt there an iOS7 file that I can Download and just install it through iTunes? Seriously guys, if there is jailbreak there Must also be a Solution to my Problem ):

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, no there isn't. Apple has locked it down, and the jailbreak people haven't found a way around it.

When you install iOS on an iPad / iPhone, iTunes calls home to Apple to request permission to install. Since Apple only issues permission for the latest iOS versions, attempts to install older versions will fail. There used to be a way to fake this permission, but Apple made it so complicated a few years back, that nobody has found a way to fake it anymore.

8. Misakimyumyu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your Explanation!

What do you think guys? I have an iPad2 with 16GB, and 10GB are still free. Should I Upgrade or just leave it? Fully loaded, the battery lasts me for 4-5days with average usage.

9. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

Sounds like you don't have a lot on there at the moment. I would be tempted to restore to iOS8.1 as new and setup again. While yes it will be a trade off as you will notice a slow down, but you will get a bit more life out of it by updating the OS.

10. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

I'd leave it.

While I do not like iOS 7/8's design, iOS 6 is better optimized for that particular iPad, so you run the risk of screwing it up if you "upgrade".

Some say it's fine to do so, others don't. I'd err on the side of caution.

That said, it really does depend on what you need. If there is a killer app that you have to have but it only runs on newer software, then take the plunge.

Let us know how it goes!:D

11. Misakimyumyu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys!

Well the Thing is, yesterday when I was chargin my tablet, it suddenly started downloading iOS8, I immediately stopped the wifi connection and did a complete reset, so now it just says " Download was stopped, click to resume".

Do you think that someday soon, it will try to download it again without my permission?

Because actually I was only tempted to upgrade to iOS7/8 because of the sleek design, but to tell the truth, I only use my ipad for university, to save all my ebooks and do some notes, and of course to watch youtube videos and other html5-movies.

So as long as I can continue doing what I always did on my iPad, I guess I will stay with iOS6, and hope that it doesnt upgrade without me agreeing to it.

Thanks for your help!

12. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I implore you, stick with ios6.

I had an ipad 3 and I didn't upgrade to 7. I never regretted it. I did run into a few apps I couldn't download, but other than that, it was functioning very smoothly. Lots of people upgraded their ipad 3 and found that ios 7 lost some smoothness.

Do yourself a favor and just keep it at ios 6 until you actually upgrade your ipad.

I wish more people knew about this instead of just upgrading as soon as apple puts out an update. It would save people a lot of hassle and not force them to upgrade their devices so often.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I second the above. My iPad 3 is still running iOS 5.1.1 and it will stay that way. It's sad how crappy iOS has become since iOS 7. This time it was so bad that Apple had to pull one of the iOS 8 updates and no one was fired.

I made the mistake of updating my iPad 2 from iOS 6 to 7. At least it works semi decent. There's no way in hell I upgrade to 8. I don't like several of the changes made and some of the performance hit that comes with 8.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, I'm afraid it will. But it would just download the update -- it won't install unless you click "install."

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to delete the download, so it'll sit there taking up space. Ironically, Apple did build in a "delete download" function in the more recent iOS versions, but of course in order to take advantage of that function, you have to update!

15. analogika macrumors newbie

analogika

My iPad 2 was vey happy running the last version of iOS 7. I used it for work (running Set List Maker, Dropbox, Pages, Numbers, and Safari, mostly).
    Performance improved substantially with the first major upgrade to iOS 7.

I didn't upgrade to iOS 8 until 8.1 was released and immediately passed the iPad on to my daughter (got an Air 2 to replace it), but it seems fine.

----------

That function is in iOS 7, indeed.

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I ran 7 on my Ipad 2 till 8 came out and now running that without issue.

Your mileage may vary, others have reported issues including sluggishness with 8.

The difference seems to be, I did a clean zap and install when I moved to 8. Everything was much faster afterward.

17. Misakimyumyu thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey!

Thanks for your answers. The problem is that i "only" have 16GB, would I have the 32GB or larger version, I wouldnt mind updating to iOS 8 too.

What does "clean zap" mean? Does that make a difference?

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That would mean restore (not upgrade) to iOS 8, and set it up as a new device (no restore from backup).

You will lose all data and settings that are currently on the device.

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If you sell it with iOS 6, you will get a lot more for it, that if you had installed 7 or 8.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you have iOS 5, I bet you could get even more. :)

21. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Hate to tell you, That's telling you it time to buy a new one

22. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Probably. Wish I had a device with iOS 5, but guess I'm lucky enough to have 6 on my iPad and iPhone. :D

23. Roadwarrior69 macrumors newbie

I updated to 8, on my ipad 2, and it was very laggy. I did download ios7 a day later to go back.