iPad 2 use with Hotspot on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anfield11, Apr 8, 2011.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Before someone yells at me :) I have searched and searched for a thread.

I'm seriously considering an iPad 2 and am leaning towards the 3G as I'd like access anywhere. Trade off of course is that it costs more.

I have an iPhone 4 with the Hotspot feature. Can I use this as an internet connection for the iPad where wifi is not available?

Cheers

2. mlstein macrumors newbie

Absolutely. If you're on AT&T's $25.00/month plan it will cost you and extra $20 in the months when you do that. AT&T has told me that if you've got one of the old $30/month unlimited data plans you can use the iPhone as a hotspot with no additional charge.

3. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I have a 6Gb data plan for $30/mth and my supplier [Rogers in Canada] wants $10 per month to let the iPad share it. I'm assuming if I go the wifi only iPad and use the Hotspot I won't pay any more....I think :)

4. bigpatky, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

whoa...i haven't heard that. do you have to contact att to set it up? how do you do that? i'm grandfathered in w/ the unlimited plan still.

edit: i just called. they told me that i couldn't tether at all w/ the unlimited plan. they did happen to mention the free wifi at mcdonalds, starbucks, etc. that i could use. she said it in a funny way that made it at first sound like i could "tether" from that "hotspot" to my phone for free. maybe that was the misunderstanding?

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

For AT&T, if you have unlimited plan and add tethering, they drop you to 4GB and it cost $45.

6. mlstein, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

mlstein macrumors newbie

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I thought you could JB the iPhone and then use an app called MiFi (or somethinlg) and create a hot spot that the iPad (1st or 2nd Gen) could use.

I am losing my work provided cellphone and i was thinking about an iPhone for doing just that.

8. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

Correct, pay a one time fee of $20 or $25 for My-Wi on demand. My-Wi on demand automatically creates a wifi hotspot when necessary so you don't have to constantly have to switch on and off. By far one of the best reasons to jailbreak an iDevice.

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thanks now i just need to choose between AT&T and Verizon.

10. DanaLea73 macrumors newbie

I'm using the personal hotspot with my ipad, and so far the annoying thing is my ipad can't find the hotspot unless I first go into my phone and open settings and open the personal hotspot screen. THEN the ipad can connect. Anyone know a way to speed that up and not have to open the iPhone every time?

I'm seriously thinking of going back to separate 3G accounts.

-dana