iPad 2 use with Hotspot on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anfield11, Apr 8, 2011.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Before someone yells at me I have searched and searched for a thread.

I'm seriously considering an iPad 2 and am leaning towards the 3G as I'd like access anywhere. Trade off of course is that it costs more.

I have an iPhone 4 with the Hotspot feature. Can I use this as an internet connection for the iPad where wifi is not available?

Cheers

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Yes. You can use the iPhone 4 hotspot for wifi access on the iPad 2.

You might want to review your data plans though. With some carriers the iPad2 data plan may be less (depending on your usage) than turning on hotspot use on the phone.

3. mostlynameless macrumors member

I do, it works well, but it is a big drain on the iPhone battery.

4. maviso5 macrumors regular

5. scwatkins77 macrumors newbie

I was originally going to get an iPad2 with 3G, but opted to spend the money on a WiFi model with more storage capacity. Glad I did. It works wonderfully with the iPhone4 hotspot function. (posting this right now in that manner, in fact) It does put a drain on your iPhone battery, but not too bad. I'd recommend it. Rumors of 3G iPad2 models having connectivity issues abound.

6. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Agreed. I also went the wifi route and the hotspot is great but there is noticeable battery drainage on the iPhone. Small price to pay though IMHO.

7. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. I have a 6GB data plan with my iPhone and my service provider [Rogers] requires another $10 to let the iPad share it.

8. KnitGirl macrumors member

+1

Also, by tethering this means that I can upgrade my phone to 4G in the future and I'll be able to take advantage of the added speed on my iPad.

9. Bob Sanders macrumors member

I'm using it right now on the 4GB plan that ATT offers. I'm happy so far.

10. crazycanucks macrumors regular

For any Rogers customers, tethering is free if you have a data plan of 1GB or more. Hotspot works awesome with my iPad2, iPhone 4 on Rogers. Running with a 6GB data plan

11. LYFK macrumors regular

Buy a Mophie Juice pack for the iPhone, it's great for extending battery life.

12. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

In the UK O2 don't seem to be charging for personal hotspot use. :):)

13. orisonmarden macrumors member

orisonmarden

U can do for free with MyWi installed on your iPhone (jailbroken) :D

14. Smoothness macrumors regular

i have an android and the hotspot feature on it, drains my battery. So i rather use 3g.

15. rcownley macrumors member

And it was for this reason I put more money to get the 64gb wifi instead of a 3G model.

And as far as data usage goes, I haven't seen an increase as when I'm surfing the web on my iPad, I'm not of my iPhone.

Battery does drain a little more, but not so much that I run out too early in the day.

16. LixLev macrumors regular

How are you getting O2 Personal Hotspot for free? Whenever I click to set it up it takes me to a website telling me how much it is.

17. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm actually surprised by how little of a drain Personal Hotspot is on battery. I use the Bluetooth option almost exclusively and it works great. I've had it on for the last five hours and I'm still at around 60% on my iPhone. Granted, I wasn't actively surfing the net for all five hours, but still fairly impressive. Power efficient enough for me to not really have to worry.

18. rcownley macrumors member

I had to call them to be transferred to one of these tariffs:
    http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/paymonthly

And then after midnight when it kicks in, it allows you to turn it on.

19. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

If you JB your iPhone and iPad you can use MyWi Ondemand which uses bluetooth to conserve battery. But are the speeds just as fast?

20. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Why don't you just tether? Tethering is free on Rogers with any data plan over 1 GB.

I think what you're thinking of requires the 3G iPad and you get to use the data plan from your phone with your iPad as well, rather then signing up for a second data plan.

21. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I have the Rogers 6GB plan on my iPhone too and tethering works great. For what it's worth I find that the battery life on the iPhone is better when I tether my iPad using Bluetooth rather than wifi.

22. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I haven't changed my tariff, am on a business contract though so that might be why. :):)

23. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

I'm sure this has been answered, but as of now, I have unlimited data with att with my iPhone 4. If also have the iPad 2 wifi model, if I go for the hotspot on my att account, can I still keep my unlimited data??? Or will I loose that?
    Thanks!

24. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I have the exact same data plan as you [Rogers] and I use it all the time. It's like tethering. Rogers doesn't charge more for tethering, just need a minimum 1GB data plan. I have a WiFi iPad and use my iPhone as a hotspot.

25. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

you will lose it.

im hoping att someday brings tethering down to maybe $5 extra a month so it would be the same as unlimited. $45 is not worth it imo. that is such a robbery. hopefully the t-mobile buyout will do something about it bc i think t-mobile offered tethering for free so maybe they will meet in the middle but im not getting hopes up.