iPad 2 using wifi compared to 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dru106, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dru106 macrumors member

Mar 18, 2011
    Dont get me wrong I love my iPad 2 but I noticed that my battery life was really cut short when using 3g.... I had it fully charged this morning before i went to work, used it for a little and towards the end my work shift it was down to only 20%!! Probably cuz I had push notifications on but still even when my ipad is left at home using wifi it didnt drain as fast.
  2. HighEndMac macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Is the 3g really worth the extra monthly bill? I mean I have the iPhone 4 and the 3g is soooo slow! (I am in NYC though) That’s really what stopped me from getting it, but I can now see that it would be nice to check my mail and shop on the app store when I’m not in a WiFi area. What’s your take?

Not trying to HiJack your thread guy, just curious. :eek:
  3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Dec 24, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    I work in a bank mortgage office, so our computer network is highly restricted. MacRumors still allowed tho :D but I can't access any email, forums, music stream, or otherwise. It's nice to have my iPad sitting next to me for emails (manage a few websites, so I get quite a few), as well as the nice game during slow/lunch times.
  4. dru106 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2011
    The reason why I got it is cuz just in case if I travel and really need the Internet then I'll buy but for the most part I don't really need it. Just trying it out but I won't be using it for a while.... It's just good to know that I have this option available that's all :D
  5. wx4olf macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2010
    I've noticed about 50% drop throughout the day when I have both radios on (wifi and 3G) with general web surfing through the day (checking forums, etc) plus some streaming during lunch. Not really an issue though as I generally plug the iPad in to charge when I go to bed. Currently, I have just turned off the wifi radio since I primarily use the 3G connection while at work. It may be all in my mind but it seems to use a little less juice during the work day that way.
  6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Whether the 3g is worth it differs person to person

My girlfriend has a Wifi only iPad and loves it. She has Wifi wherever she goes.

I absolutely NEED 3g as my work has no Wifi and I travel to many places every day and RARELY do I have available Wifi AND i need an internet connection while at these places
  7. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2011
    Ditto! I do notice my battery drops a little faster on 3G so I do turn it off when not in use :)