Ipad 2 Verizon vs. AT&T choice question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petalino, Mar 14, 2012.

1. petalino macrumors regular

I am currently shopping on Craigslist for a used 64GB Ipad 2 with 3G.

The prices vary, to as low as $450, but this seems to be a suspicious price; perhaps hot goods.

Anyway, my question is about the difference between AT&T and Verizon ready Ipad.
    I travel often and imagine that one day I will land in a country where I will want to buy a local SIM card to use in my Ipad.

Is this possible to do with both versions of the Ipad? I assume that the Verizon edition does not have a SIM slot, right?

Also, are these Ipads unlocked, unlike the Iphone that Apple sells in the US?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

$450 on CL is possibly not that low, especially if it is out of warranty now. Look at completed sale prices on eBay and consider each seller nets about 88% of the final bid price.

A Verizon iPad2 does not have a SIM slot and cannot be used away from CDMA networks. (the new Verizon iPad does have this capability, the iPad2 Verizon does not)

AT&T iPad1's and 2s are not carrier locked and can use alternate SIMs. There's no reason to expect the 3rd gen to be locked either as there's no carrier subsidy.