iPad 2 very slow charging

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iTechy21, Sep 7, 2014.

1. iTechy21 macrumors newbie

Hello. Since I installed the iOS 7.1.2 update on my iPad I have been plagued with charging issues... I am using the official charger and cable that came with my iPad and I left it overnight...
    When I woke up in the morning my iPad was just over 50% charged and it had been left for at least 9 hours (with wifi and background app refresh off). Is this a developing hardware issue or just an issue with my power supply (I did not lose power last night as all the clocks in my house are on time)
    The charger does feel hot and I was wondering if that has an impact on how quickly my iPad will charge.
    -iTechy21

2. thegreati macrumors regular

Are you using the charging brick that came w/ the device as well, or is it through a computer/car etc?

3. iTechy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the charger that came with the iPad. I am also using a bar socket (that shouldnt make any diffrence though)

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Try using a different USB cable. If the USB cable is damaged such that the data pins don't make contact, it will charge slowly.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

smh

6. thegreati macrumors regular

I was referring to the charging brick that connects to the wall, not the charging cable. This information does matter in this situation. A lot of people mix up the 2 and do not know the difference.

Thanks for the clarification OP.

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    When the brick is done charging, it is no longer warm. Could be an issue with the charger.

I switched to the 12W brick - works faster, especially on my iPod Touch 5.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Is it charging at a normal rate now or just a little faster than before?

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I've never actually timed it with the iPad since I generally charge it overnight, but know that I can get a full charge of my iPod Touch 5 in around 20 minutes. I think the 12W gives a faster charge than the 10W.

10. iTechy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I fixed it :) check the bottom of the charger and look at the Amp output. It should be 2.1 for the 10w one. Turns out I was using the 1 Amp charger XD which I think is 5w

11. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

one time my iPad charger actually died half way. and when i plugged it into my iPad , the iPad said not charging. but it would charge my iPhone. the genius at the apple store has never seen the charger fail like this. they gave me a new one for free. i had applecare