iPad 2 + VGA = Mirroring?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harry20larry, Mar 2, 2011.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I like the idea of mirror, however, I have the VGA adapter and can say I can never see myself using HDMI in college. Do you think the VGA adapter will support mirroring with the iPad 2?

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Yeah, to run a presentation off an iPad would be awesome, but my uni doesn't have projectors with HDMI inputs I don't think.

Better be able to use VGA

3. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Everything you see on your iPad 2, using a little cable you can see that on an external display, TV, monitor whatever.

5. sculptor310 macrumors newbie

software or hardware?

Is the new mirroring feature an iPad 2-only hardware improvement, or a 4.3 iOs software improvement?

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Apple confirmed that the new HDMI adapter will have mirroring with iPad 1, check its product page. So its a 4.3 thing

7. NemyMongus macrumors newbie

Actually if you look at the product listing for the Digital AV Adapter on the Apple Store it very specifically says that mirroring is supported on iPad 2 only. Video out is supported on iPad and iPhone4. See here

If you look at the iPad 2 features page here they mention in the mirroring section of the page that it will be supported with the VGA adapter.

8. mrexchange macrumors newbie

I got my iPad2 hooked up to a VGA monitor earlier tonight, using the standard VGA adapter that Apple started supplying when the first iPad launched. Mirroring worked just great - no frame loss, and all features supporting including full view of SpringBoard (the home screen) and rotation.
    I made a short demo video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PhPLz_WF2c

So, the conclusion here is that mirroring is a feature of the A5 chip inside the iPad2, and you don't specifically need the HDMI cable to make it work.

Hope this helps all the teachers and business professionals out there!

Paul.