ipad 2 volume button got jammed in the middle!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by askrib, Aug 16, 2011.

1. askrib, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

askrib macrumors member

Hey guys. So I'm gonna be honest. I was walking up my stairs and slipped with my iPad in hand. I caught myself without any serious damage to myself or the iPad. Everything looked fine, no scratches etc until I just tried to play a video and the volume wouldn't go up!

The volume button seemed to have been hit during this fall and jammed in. I can't change the volume at all and the volume icon is stuck on the front of my screen. I can tell by looking that the button is physically jammed in the middle.

Any ideas on what to do to fix this? If I take it into apple will they repair for free? Is this any easy fix? I bought this about 2 weeks ago. Should i tell them something else happened besides the fact I fell? ahhh, please any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Take it to Apple and exchange it, just tell them at it jammed for some reason, don't tell them you fell with it or anything.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Hiding facts from them is a bad idea. If you're honest with them, you'll have a much better chance of getting a replacement. Face it; iPad volume buttons never jam for no reason. Make sure you mention you bought it two weeks ago. Have the sales receipt with you.

4. askrib thread starter macrumors member

thanks but it kind of has a small dent by the button. Will that matter? Wouldnt they notice?

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Exactly why you need to tell them what happened. It would be painfully obvious it was due to user error; it's best to just be honest. Apple Geniuses are people too!

6. goodgiftformen macrumors newbie

yes i see too ... take it to apple and exchange it

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

should you be honest and do the right thing?

yes.

8. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Clearly you cannot be Palpatine. Impostor!

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

palpatine is the most honest of the senators. he never denies what he is. in fact, he volunteers his identity. if you are going to be evil, stand up for it!

i am a reformed palpatine. mistakes were made :)

10. askrib thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys. I guess my best bet is to just go in and tell them what happened. If worst comes to worst, I have to pay. Would that be an inexpensive fix?

11. askrib thread starter macrumors member

so i went to apple store today and i was honest with what happened and since i got it only a week ago they gave me a BRAND NEW one. WOW. Apple service is unreal. This is why you pay top dollar for there products.....because in the long run its worth it!

Thanks for the help. And hell ya to APPLE! :)

12. serg1984 macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to my Ipad, but I bought it at Best Buy. Do you guys think if I bought it to apple they would be able to help me?

13. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yes they will help, it doesn't matter where you bought it.

14. greganpace macrumors regular

Best Buy employees who sell you the apple products are hired and trained by apple to be authorized.

15. MallCop macrumors 6502

Be honest and they'll most likely replace it.

16. Outragous macrumors newbie

Will they replace this for free? I have bought a couple apps, and I don't want that money to go to waste.

17. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Depends how the 'Genius' you see feels that day.

18. Outragous macrumors newbie

Ah. Okay, but I need the address of a nearby Apple store. I livein Guangzhou China and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get around.:apple: Do any of you guys know where there is an apple store near Tianhe? I need the address and phone number. Thanks for your help!

19. britabroad65 macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen to me. I dropped the iPad whilst it was still in its padded case. Everything was fine, except the impact had jammed the volume button on, permanently, so that it was constantly onscreen. I could adjust the volume so nothing was broken inside, but it stayed on display on the screen, either full volume or mute. The metal casing had trapped the button in the on position
    I went to the Apple store for a tentative repair estimate, ( gift from abroad, no guarantee)they warned me it would be about a hundred less than the cost of a new one, so not an option!
    The repair guy suggested that if I had nothing to lose, I could buy a Stanley knife, ( I used a more accurate craft knife) and just keep shaving away at the side of the plastic button, until the side of the button came free of the metal casing. It took the best part of an hour, and there are a couple of scratches on the casing where I missed my target, but it worked! Everything is now fine.

20. 0akii0 macrumors newbie

Volume button jammed

My volume button did also get stuck when I dropped my iPad but then I took a Stanley knife and I kept pulling the volume button out , and now it works :)

21. Betvid macrumors newbie

I didnt do anything

I was just sitting here reading and suddenly my button wont work. All other buttons work. I tried the assisted thing as described and it doesnt work for the apps I need. I tried the clip idea and it didnt work. I am scared to stick a knife in it. I have bad eyes and its hard to see. All ideas welcomed.

22. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Are you still under warranty? If so head over to Apple and you'll probably get a new device. If not, head over anyway and get a quote on repair. After that then you can weigh your options with the knife thing.