Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Hi, I've Been using VPN on iPhone devices for well over a year to connect to my work's Cisco router. The ipad2 does connect, but seems to disconnect frequently.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

mlofny

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Same issue here. Cisco router VPN. iPad connects but seems to disconnect after a few minutes. Has anyone found an answer/solution to this?

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Which protocol are you guys using? I am using VPN over L2TP and I am not having issues with disconnections. I only disconnect when the autolock gets engaged, which is expected.

BTW I am using an iPad2 on 4.3 (not the most recent firmware)

Last edited:

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I am using IPSec. Just updated to 4.3.1 so not sure if that makes a difference yet.

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
the problem is iOS 4.3.x. I have an iPad 4.3.1 and a Verizon iPhone 4.2.6. I put them both on the same wifi network and try to connect to the same PPTP VPN with the exact same settings on both devices.

Verizon iPhone 4.2.6 connects every time.
iPad 4.3.1 always has problems.

There is a thread on the official Apple support forums about this.

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Hi, I've Been using VPN on iPhone devices for well over a year to connect to my work's Cisco router. The ipad2 does connect, but seems to disconnect frequently.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

I understand that setting auto-lock to 'never' or plugging in the IPad/IPhone to the mains will prevent IOS from disconnecting the VPN.
A nuisance if you're trying to preserve battery life :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.