iPad 2 VPN disconnects alot?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Blarneystone, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Blarneystone macrumors member

Hi, I've Been using VPN on iPhone devices for well over a year to connect to my work's Cisco router. The ipad2 does connect, but seems to disconnect frequently.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

2. mlofny macrumors newbie

Same issue here. Cisco router VPN. iPad connects but seems to disconnect after a few minutes. Has anyone found an answer/solution to this?

3. Blarneystone thread starter macrumors member

Did you update to the latest iOS version? I am wondering if that makes a diff.

4. Cha, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

Cha macrumors regular

Which protocol are you guys using? I am using VPN over L2TP and I am not having issues with disconnections. I only disconnect when the autolock gets engaged, which is expected.

BTW I am using an iPad2 on 4.3 (not the most recent firmware)

5. Blarneystone thread starter macrumors member

I am using IPSec. Just updated to 4.3.1 so not sure if that makes a difference yet.

6. btownguy macrumors 6502

the problem is iOS 4.3.x. I have an iPad 4.3.1 and a Verizon iPhone 4.2.6. I put them both on the same wifi network and try to connect to the same PPTP VPN with the exact same settings on both devices.

Verizon iPhone 4.2.6 connects every time.
    iPad 4.3.1 always has problems.

There is a thread on the official Apple support forums about this.

7. avatarwill macrumors newbie

I understand that setting auto-lock to 'never' or plugging in the IPad/IPhone to the mains will prevent IOS from disconnecting the VPN.
    A nuisance if you're trying to preserve battery life :eek: