iPad 2 vs 3 iphoto/movie/intensive apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sl33pyhead, Mar 26, 2012.

1. sl33pyhead macrumors member

I need some advice... While commuting I plan to edit photos and videos for a website. An iPad seems like just the thing as I would hate to carry a laptop when I'm out and about.

From this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345943&highlight=ipad+iphoto it seems iMovie is aabboout the same. Has anyone had a chance to test out iPhoto and other intensive apps on the iPad 2 vs iPad 3? I heard the doubling of ram is mostly to fuel the retina display and the processor is the same speed (but greatly improved GPU). Will I notice a difference in these types of tasks?->

LOTS of iPhoto, some iMovie, and lots of saved/tabbed browsing since I'll be out for extended periods of time. Are my needs justified for an iPad 3 or will the 2 get things done smoothly?

2. joegleur macrumors regular

someone did a test and exporting 720 videos in iMovie is faster (correct me if i'm wrong).

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

Forget faster or not - the screen is a huge reason to get the new iPad for this kind of work. Especially photography - it's the difference between editing a low-res photo on a computer screen and editing a very high quality print. For photo and video work I'd pick the new one even if it was slower.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Definitely go with the 2012 iPad model for photos and videos. The screen is what drives everything. If you're processing imaging, the 2012 iPad is also going to process it faster due to the graphics engine that's in there. iPad2 is sometimes faster for quick small things but the new one is much stronger at processing the complex.