iPad 2 vs 3 performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bmw3wags, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bmw3wags macrumors member

Do you guys actually think the iPad 3 will have much better performance? I know we are hearing it will have a Quad core processor but it it's pushing a higher resolution retina display could that offset the performance gain from the iPad 2 since it takes a lot more power to push that display? I cant imagine the real world will be that much different considering that.

2. rainking macrumors regular

A couple seconds here and there doesn't seem like a lot till you use both. I thought my iPhone 3g was fast till I upgraded to the 4. Now the 4 seems slow after playing my friend's 4s. Speed is all relative. It's like going from HDD to SSD. Only a couple seconds, if that, of a difference when launching apps but it still makes a difference.

3. PCClone macrumors 6502a

4. falcora macrumors 6502

I think for the vast majority of tasks, there is going to be no noticeable difference in speed and performance between the iPad 2 and 3. The iPad 2 is already a very fast and capable device. The performance of the iPad 3 is really only going to come into play with high quality games that haven't even been released yet. We are talking infiniti blade 3 or something.

The only reason to upgrade to the iPad 3 if you already have an iPad 2 is if you want the retina display.

I on the other hand have an iPad 1. The lack of RAM and processing power is very noticeable. Web pages lag when scrolling, games and apps crash fairly frequently, etc. So i'm upgrading the the iPad 3 and getting all the benefits of speed and performance, as well as a Hi-Res retina display.

5. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

We all agree iPad 2 is speedy enough but the competitors have already caught up. It really depends on whether Apple stick with Cortex A9 or go for A15. The dual/quad core parts wont really add much to the speed.

I absolutely get the sense Apple wont want to lose to a PC vs Mac war again. This time round we should see some spectacular gains in performance.

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That depends.

ARM claims the Cortex A15 is 40% faster than the Cortex A9 at the same clock speed.

So, a 1GHz dual-core Cortex A15 would be up to 80% faster, and I'd say noticeable faster in general use, and especially web browsing.

If we see a 1GHz quad-core Cortex A9 we'll not notice much of a speed boost, but we'll see more powerful games and apps leveraging the cores. (The dual-core A15 would also see this.)

If we see a 1GHz quad-core Cortex A15, then WOOHOO!

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I had to use my imagination to see more speed with the 4S compared to the 4. I suspect the new processor will have it's hands full with the extra resolution during games and graphics and doubt seriously you will see a speed bump worth writing home about.

I just hope it is as good as the iPad 2 and the battery does not need charging every couple of hours!:cool:

8. chrisiw macrumors regular

Yes I'm the same, iPad 1 now, so I will be upgrading to the 3, I hope that the email on iPad 3 has dictation built in that matches the email on my Android Phone.

9. falcora macrumors 6502

If the iPad 3 has Siri, it will have dictation built-in. On my 4S, in any app that uses the keyboard, a small microphone key appears on the keyboard. I can tap it and just start talking. It works really really well and seldom makes errors. There's also no maximum speaking duration that i'm aware of.

----------

This may be true, that competitors are already using faster chips than Apple's, but any engineer can tell you that it's not always about specs. The OS has to be written efficiently to take advantage of those chips. The fragmented nature of Android, means that you aren't getting the performance of the iOS ecosystem, even with better specs.

My buddy has a Galaxy Nexus which has a 1.2 Ghz Cortex A9, and that thing stutters on simple animations, like when you open apps, or tap buttons that make screen fade or zoom in and out.

My point being, I still think Apple is going to upgrade the processor, i'm hoping for a quad core A15 as much as the next guy, but I don't think Apple is obligated to do so, just to keep up with competition.

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Mmm, I have to disagree. Whilst I agree that iOS has been written efficiently, and in tandem with the hardware in order to get every ounce of performance out of it, you'll still see any Android device with a faster dual-core processor win at benchmarks.
    Are you sure he hasn't just turned animations off? The processor won't make it stutter.
    Apple's never been a spec warrior, but they've become one as of the iPad 2. They're taking it more seriously, because they've got a lot of market share and they want to hold onto it. And people want great specs too.

They'll definitely need to upgrade the processor to keep up with the competition, if they manage to use the Cortex A15 architecture, that'd be fantastic -- Apple would be ahead of the game. If not, and it's the Cortex A9, they'll be on par with the Tegra 3's processor for a while.

11. MortalDays macrumors regular

all of the comparisons between 2 and 3 are arbitrary until March 7th. therefore, kind of pointless to compare.

12. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's not true. We have a reasonable idea of what we're going to get based on rumours, leaks, discoveries, and other information.

It's fun to discuss it.

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

As of next week, iPad2 = Old and Busted, iPad3 = New Hotness.

iPad 1 = LOLiPad1