iPad iPad 2 vs Air - Screen scratches ???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boats4chris, Jan 7, 2014.

1. boats4chris macrumors newbie

I have had a 32 GB iPad 2 since its release and I am ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade to a 64 GB Air. When I first purchased the iPad 2 on launch day, I bought the Zagg screen protector for it (which I put on all my iPhones) but the cut was wrong and none of them would fit. So I went with just the smart cover thinking I would come back later when Zagg had figured out the actual dimensions correctly, but I loved the clear screen and never did use a screen protector. I am not a daily user, but I do use it frequently especially when I travel. To this day it still looks brand new, no scratches anywhere or any signs of wear.

So my question is... is the change in glass on the Air a reason to add a screen protector? Still thinking of going with just the smart cover...

I have read several posts about the Air feeling plasticy or that it flexes a bit when you press on it. Does anyone know if the screen on the Air is more susceptible to scratching than the iPad 2? The 2 feels pretty solid and like a pane of glass so I was much less worried about scratches.

Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

2. fredylee macrumors member

had iPad since iPad 1, 2, 3, 4 and air. Never used a screen protector, and have gotten 0 scratch on the screen.

I think as long as you clean them using some sort of micro fiber cloth, you will be all right.

3. augustya, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

None of the Apple Mobile Products iPod, iPhone, iPad require any kind of screen protection Period !! People don't understand this simple thing !! Have you heard anything called as Gorilla Glass right now I think the 3rd or the 4th generation of it is used in not just in Apple but most of the Brand's Mobile Products !

4. Leney macrumors member

While many people report that they've never had a scratch on an iPad despite not babying the device, that is not equivalent to being scratch proof. Some people get scratches on their iPads, and they aren't necessarily reckless, clumsy people. It can happen. The devices are pretty scratch resistant, but scratches can occur. So whether one wants to use a protector is dependent on how bummed one would feel if they did end up with a scratch. My original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPad 2 all had 1 or 2 scratches. (I think I may have scratched the iPad accidentally with the 30-pin cable.) I didn't baby them past the initial ownership period, but I'm also not a reckless, clumsy person. I currently don't have screen protectors on my iPhone 5 or rmini, but I by no means think they are scratch proof.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I always put a screen protector on - the iPad is too expensive for me to gamble with scratches.

6. Closingracer, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

Closingracer macrumors 68000

Honestly with the squaretrade warranty on it if it got enough scratches on it I could just "drop" it and replace the screen

I have tried Screen protectors on my iPhone 3GS , IPhone 4, Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket and the s3 and all of them I never felt happy with them because I always had dust under it and is very annoying and just ended up throwing them away. My iPhone 4 I pretty much went naked for the 20 months that I owned it and I dropped it on concrete floors about 5-7 feet and in hail storms and all it got was a big scratch under the screen to the left of the home button and 1 minor scratch on the screen that I never noticed unless I took a LED flashlight and put it on the screen. My Galaxy s2 skyrocket which didn't have Gorilla glass and only had a Samsung fortified glass did fairly well in my pocket. my Galaxy s3 had no scratches the 8 months I owned it and my s4 has the S-view cover with no issues

7. seble macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't use gorilla glass in their products. My friend with a Windows phone had gorilla glass and that thing scratched up to high heaven, my iPhone 4 by comparison, didn't.

8. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Actually the iPhone does use gorilla glass as was confirmed a while ago ....Apple nor Corning officially says it but they confirmed it was gorilla glass....your comment has pure fanboy written all over it because I have had plenty of phones with gorilla glass , gorilla glass 2 , and gorilla glass 3 and pretty much scratch free

9. seble macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, I will admit when I'm wrong. And I am a fan of Apple products yes, but I stick by my statement, in fact he's on these very forums, so if he sees this post I'm sure he can confirm for you that his Windows screen got pretty scratched up.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Gorilla glass is scratch resistant not scratch proof and anything harder the 7 on the hardness scale can scratch glass

11. kamuix macrumors regular

I put one on as I feel better knowing I have a protection from my grubby hands and from other people when I share my ipad.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are concerned, use some kind of screen protector.

I got the Otterbox Defender for my IPad Air today from Amazon. Excellent fit and protection. Like Mike, I don't want to take any unnecessary chances with my pricey Christmas gift.

13. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

same experience here ;)

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd rather spend a little money (on the screen protector) so I don't have to intentionally break my tablet to get it replaced. Plus I'll not have to worry about paying the deductible.