iPad 2 vs Aluminum Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VeganHipster, Sep 27, 2011.

1. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I am looking for something portable to hold me over until I build my PC in december for The Old Republic. I was thinking of getting an iPad 2 for garageband and iMovie, but I have found aluminum MacBooks for not much more. Granted the MacBook wont get 3G, but I carry my phone with me and could just do tethering. Any thoughts on which I should get? I was going to do browsing, watching movies, iLife on both. But I want to play StarCraft II and Sims 3 and my current PC's hard drive is full! which one would you rather get? Thanks

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

The aluminum macbook is an awesome machine, modern, fast, and can still easily hold its own. Its obviously very different than an iPad though.

3. VeganHipster thread starter macrumors regular

That is true. Since you own both, which one would you prefer?

4. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Macbook, no question. My iPad is used for browsing the web while sitting on the couch and as my entertainment/light computer on short trips. My macbook is my real computer.

5. VeganHipster thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool. Thanks for the quick replys! But for someone who is getting a new computer in the next couple of months , do you think I should get the iPad 2 or the Alu MacBook?

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Probably the iPad 2 but you could always get the macbook now and then sell it for almost the same price and buy the iPad 2 then if you still want it (it'll be cheaper after the iPad 3 comes out - Craigslist will be full of them for cheap). Also, the iPads don't seem to be holding their value very well so it is probably money better spent on the macbook aluminum.

I find the iPad a very good media consumption device, a very poor media creation device. That's just my opinion.

7. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I find them both to be very different animals.

If I were you, I would buy a cheap external hard drive for the computer so you could do computing. AND get the iPad. You get the best of both worlds....portability, and your full computer.

8. scyap macrumors member

Sims3 on iPad and Macbook is a completely different experience...

I've played the normal desktop/laptop version of sims 3 and i must say, the mobile version (ipad/iphone) one is unplayable

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you want to use these programs then don't buy an iPad 2, get the MacBook, you will be very disappointed with the lack of functionality in the iPad versions of Garageband and iMovie.

10. VeganHipster thread starter macrumors regular

I won't be using them seriously, just to mess around with. And in the OP I said I am building my new PC (i am making a gaming pc/hackintosh since nothing Apple currently sells in the desktop lines interest me) so I don't see the point of getting the laptop