All iPads iPad 2 vs. iPad 2 Help?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttackKev, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MacAttackKev macrumors member

After waiting months for a mini refresh, apple decided to cripple the little guy:(

Good news is that ipad mini 2 retina has become extremely affordable, and I was considering on opting for a 64 GB Ipad mini retina. I'm a little hesitant mostly because I'm worried that it won't be as snappy on the newer ios and the whole color gamut thing (but then again I can't really tell unless I'm comparing it side by side with something like an air). Though I do really like the form factor.

I'm also considering on just opting for ipad air 2, which actually got a decent update (in my opinion) and it does have the latest specs... well in apple land. The only problem is that it's pretty pricy and I could only manage the 16 GB model.

This would be my first tablet, and I was wondering if anyone could spare some advice?
    It would primarily be a media item: Videos, Pictures, surfing the net as well as reading and viewing PDFs.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks all!:D

2. Piyo macrumors newbie

I think you'll find the 16GB model very limiting, especially with iOS taking even more of that space for itself now.

For videos, photos and web having the larger screen is always nice but all that extra power the Air 2 has is wasted on them. All still very doable on the mini, I think if you can live with the size of it and don't plan on doing any heavy gaming it's the better option all round.

3. MacAttackKev thread starter macrumors member

I hear that a lot and it does make sense, why view things on a smaller screen?
    but I've used an air before (maybe it was because it had a case) but it was pretty bulky for me. Not much of a gamer anymore, but is gaming bad on the mini? Just curious

4. flur macrumors 68000

Whether 16gb is enough for what you want to do depends on if you're looking to stream or store content. If you're going to stream video and plan to store your photos in the cloud rather than on the device (I use dropbox for this), then it may be enough space. If you're looking to download content for offline use, you will fill it up quickly.

5. Piyo macrumors newbie

Nah, mini is fine for gaming - depending on the kind of games you play it can even be better as its much easier to hold and move around. Most of the games on the appstore aren't particularly demanding, a lot of 2D and very basic 3D games but there's usually a few 'big' games each year that stress the hardware - Bioshock, Real Racing 3, Vain Glory etc. They'll all run fine on the Mini 2, just better on the Air 2. I get that people are disappointed the mini didn't get a SoC bump, but it's still no slouch.

6. MacAttackKev thread starter macrumors member

-well I'm planning on getting a wifi model in either case, so I do plan to store it on the device, which is why I'd ideally want a 32 GB option on the Air, but Apple removed that option and of course kept the 16 GB model :confused:

That's great to hear, I appreciate the advice!

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would suggest if you can't afford it now then save up until you have enough for the 64GB iPad Air 2.

8. flur macrumors 68000

My ipad 4 is wifi 16gb and I have no problem streaming - I watch movies and tv on it and don't store any of them on the device. It's totally doable if you want to do it.

That said, I agree with Mr. C, that your best bet is to save another $100 for the 64gb.

9. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

If you don't care about Touch ID, the 32GB refurbished Airs are going for $389 now. Pretty damn good price. I was going to ask for $400 for my 16GB Air, but now...

10. macduke Suspended

macduke

Or you can get a new Mini 2 32GB for $349 which IMO is a heck of a good deal.