Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I currently have an iPad 2 (64gb I think) with the latest iOS 8.4 installed however, I am finding it VERY clunky and slow! Default apps like the Mail app crash 95% of the time on first tapping the icon, entering text (either in Safari or when texting someone) results in serious lag - so much that I have to stop typing and wait for the text to catch up! Opening apps and stuff like that is very stuttery (I have the "Reduced Motion" feature enabled), its really starting to get on my nerves!!! :mad:

Its not overly filled with games and apps - I think i have only used just over half the storage. I'm off on holiday next week and was thinking of buying an iPad Air (space grey 32gb, wifi only) from Duty Free.

I don't want to spend the extra for the newer iPad Air 2 as I think the iPad Air will be just as good!

Thoughts?!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Either will be a big improvement over what you have now, but I would encourage you to get the Air 2 which will be a much bigger improvement and have a much longer useful lifespan. It has 2GB of RAM vs. 1GB which will already give the Air 2 access to new features in iOS 9 this fall, it has a screen that is much less reflective, and TouchID which is really convenient way of securing your device.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Either will be a big improvement over what you have now, but I would encourage you to get the Air 2 which will be a much bigger improvement and have a much longer useful lifespan. It has 2GB of RAM vs. 1GB which will already give the Air 2 access to new features in iOS 9 this fall, it has a screen that is much less reflective, and TouchID which is really convenient way of securing your device.

..thanks for that. Too be honest, I’m not sure I could stretch to £400 (or justify that price!!) for the Air 2 however, the £359ish for the iPad Air seems reasonable!

limatime42

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
Go for it! I upgraded from a 2 to an Air and the difference is night and day. I'm sure that the Air 2 is better but the Air works perfectly fine for everything I use it for. Plus the Air will probably be supported for quite a while. It's a great piece of tech and you can't go wrong.

Reactions: Dino F

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
..thanks for that. Too be honest, I’m not sure I could stretch to £400 (or justify that price!!) for the Air 2 however, the £359ish for the iPad Air seems reasonable!
I'm in the same boat. The iPad 2 is literally unusable on iOS 8.4. I've had to switch my regular tablet usage to my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Regardless of the price, in my opinion it is not a wise decision to buy the iPad Air at this time. With the release of iOS 9 the Air will be more limited in features/functions than the Air 2. And it will only get worse from there. Factor the price differential over the effective life of the device and getting the Air 2 makes sense.

Last edited:

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Get the Air 2. I don't have an Air 1, but I do have a 6+ and I don't see it "holding up" as long as my Air 2.

The main culprit is the 1gb of ram. My 6+ does hiccup/slows down at times because of it. My Air 2 has never felt slow.

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
iPad Air 1 will be, for example, slow at iOS 11. iPad Air 2 will be fast much longer, minimum one generation of iOS. All iDevices are good with 1 GB RAM, so 2 GB RAM in iPad Air 2 is really great. It costs more bucks, but you will get much better device with much longer support. And split-windows is great (I have iOS 9 beta) and it only works at iPad Air 2. So that's what I think :)

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Like others, I would advice you to upgrade directly to an iPad Air 2 but if you really don't want then yeah go ahead, iPad Air 1 is a really nice device have it on iOS 8.4 and I have no crashes or long loading time. The only complain I have is the UI lags and stutters but it's an iOS 8 issue not iPad Air. However Air 2 doesn't have any UI lag or stutter. (Apple's planned obsolescense ?)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm in the same boat. The iPad 2 is literally unusable on iOS 8.4. I've had to switch my regular tablet usage to my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Regardless of the price, in my opinion it is not a wise decision to buy the iPad Air at this time. With the release of iOS 9 the Air will be more limited in features/functions than the Air 2. And it will only get worse from there. Factor the price differential over the effective life of the device and getting the Air 2 makes sense.

Saved me some typing. ;) I recently traded up from an Air to an Air 2. There are some good deals out there now on Air 2s that can take a lot of the sting out of the upgrade. With iOS 9 already coming over the horizon, buying an Air just doesn't make sense to me (but it's not my cash...).

Reactions: sracer

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I've been having the same debate. My concern is the vibration "issue" (in quotations because I realize it's not an issue for some but I don't like it) when audio is playing on the Air 2. I tested it in store and could see it would bug me.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
...thanks for the advice guys - appreciated ;)

Seems like the general consensus is to go for the Air 2! Am I right in saying that visually, the Air 2 has a slightly wider screen than the iPad 2 (the side borders of the iPad 2 are alot wider than the those on the Air/Air2) ?

modulusshift

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
...thanks for the advice guys - appreciated ;)

Seems like the general consensus is to go for the Air 2! Am I right in saying that visually, the Air 2 has a slightly wider screen than the iPad 2 (the side borders of the iPad 2 are alot wider than the those on the Air/Air2) ?
No, the screen is the same size, but you're right in that the front of the device is slightly smaller due to the smaller bezels. The device has shrunk around the screen.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
I've been having the same debate. My concern is the vibration "issue" (in quotations because I realize it's not an issue for some but I don't like it) when audio is playing on the Air 2. I tested it in store and could see it would bug me.

It is annoying and my only gripe with the Air 2. Good thing I can use headphones or a Bluetooth speaker to avoid it.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I am sure your problems with the iPad 2 dissappear, when you set it up as new. This behaviour is not normal and does not resemble my iPad 2 on iOS 8.3

Reactions: oldmacs

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
I am sure your problems with the iPad 2 dissappear, when you set it up as new. This behaviour is not normal and does not resemble my iPad 2 on iOS 8.3

…it doesn’t make any difference how I set my iPad up! In the past, I have used iTunes to update my iPad, and I have also used the OTA updates however, the issues I have mentioned above, still remain!

Am iPad Air 1 or 2 IS looming………

;)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

It would depend on how you use the iPad, among other things. I nearly always have it resting on something while watching a video, and I don't listen to music on my iPads, so the vibrations are a non-issue. If you are watching a video or listening to music while you're holding it, it could be an issue.

One other big difference between the Air and the Air 2 is that the Air 2 can achieve a much higher volume level. Watching a movie on my Air required an accessory BT speaker to be able to hear the soundtrack. With the Air 2, I don't need an accessory speaker in order to hear things clearly.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
It would depend on how you use the iPad, among other things. I nearly always have it resting on something while watching a video, and I don't listen to music on my iPads, so the vibrations are a non-issue. If you are watching a video or listening to music while you're holding it, it could be an issue.

One other big difference between the Air and the Air 2 is that the Air 2 can achieve a much higher volume level. Watching a movie on my Air required an accessory BT speaker to be able to hear the soundtrack. With the Air 2, I don't need an accessory speaker in order to hear things clearly.

Great points. This is something I think about too. I never listen to music on my iPad (I actually don't even put music on it, nor do I stream it). I do, however, sometimes watch videos. But, it tends to be more the occasional video here and there, like a youtube video or a movie trailer as opposed to regularly watching movies/netflix/TV, and I DO hold the device in my hand while doing so. The only time I could see myself watching a full movie on my iPad would be if I were out or traveling, in which case I'd use earphones and it would be a non-issue (my understanding is the vibration is not present if using earphones?). Given that my video watching is a bit more sporadic and tends to be shorter videos I'm not sure if the vibration issue would end up affecting me a lot. I DO know that the vibration really bothers me, but I mean maybe I wouldn't be using it in ways that I'd frequently encounter said vibration.

Given the nature of my usage, though, I also wonder if I could get by with an Air, which would be nice since it's $ saved (13% sales tax here too, which adds up!). I realize I won't have split screen functionality and that the device won't be as future proofed as the Air 2, but if it would work well for a solid 2 - 3 years I'd still be happy with it (though it kind of pains me from a logical viewpoint to be buying something that is 2 years old; but it's really whether it works for me or not. Either one should be an upgrade from what I'm using now, which is the Mini 1 w/ iOS 8).

modulusshift

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
Great points. This is something I think about too. I never listen to music on my iPad (I actually don't even put music on it, nor do I stream it). I do, however, sometimes watch videos. But, it tends to be more the occasional video here and there, like a youtube video or a movie trailer as opposed to regularly watching movies/netflix/TV, and I DO hold the device in my hand while doing so. The only time I could see myself watching a full movie on my iPad would be if I were out or traveling, in which case I'd use earphones and it would be a non-issue (my understanding is the vibration is not present if using earphones?). Given that my video watching is a bit more sporadic and tends to be shorter videos I'm not sure if the vibration issue would end up affecting me a lot. I DO know that the vibration really bothers me, but I mean maybe I wouldn't be using it in ways that I'd frequently encounter said vibration.

Given the nature of my usage, though, I also wonder if I could get by with an Air, which would be nice since it's $ saved (13% sales tax here too, which adds up!). I realize I won't have split screen functionality and that the device won't be as future proofed as the Air 2, but if it would work well for a solid 2 - 3 years I'd still be happy with it (though it kind of pains me from a logical viewpoint to be buying something that is 2 years old; but it's really whether it works for me or not. Either one should be an upgrade from what I'm using now, which is the Mini 1 w/ iOS 8).

My thoughts on Air vs. Air 2: Why not just get a Mini 2 instead of the Air? It's the same internals, at a much, much lower price. It's a huge upgrade over the Mini 1, which has iPad 2 era hardware, that's a full three years of performance upgrades, I believe. If you want best of the best, get an Air 2. If you don't need it, then there's no point in getting anything more expensive than a Mini 2, because Air, Mini 2 and 3 all have the same chips inside.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
iPad Air 2 is the only choice if you want the best possible experience for many years into the future. iPad Air 1 will be removed from sale forever within the next few months. Don't buy it, go for the best Air 2.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
My thoughts on Air vs. Air 2: Why not just get a Mini 2 instead of the Air? It's the same internals, at a much, much lower price. It's a huge upgrade over the Mini 1, which has iPad 2 era hardware, that's a full three years of performance upgrades, I believe. If you want best of the best, get an Air 2. If you don't need it, then there's no point in getting anything more expensive than a Mini 2, because Air, Mini 2 and 3 all have the same chips inside.

Hmm, interesting points. I didn't think about that. My main reason for not considering the Mini 2 over the Air is because I'm wanting a full sized iPad this time around. That's the main reason I've been considering the Air over the Mini 2 / 3.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008

Wow, going for the Mini 2 WOULD save a lot of $$ though.....!

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
iPad Air good. It's definitely a step up from the iPad 2. But I think you should spend the extra bucks for an iPad Air 2. It will last you longer due to the 2gb ram and will have split screen when ios9 rolls out.

I had both the air and air 2. And the air 2 is definitely worth the extra bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.