iPad 2 vs mini iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by raptorstv, Oct 27, 2012.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

which one should I get for a college student??? can't afford the retina iPad

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you really want to be honest, you don't need an iPad for college....

However, the mini seems a bit more alluring to me

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Since being in college will put a dent in your finances, seems like getting what you can afford is a good idea.

4. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

5. AJsAWiz, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

That would definitely be the better choice for a college student. But if they can't afford a retina iPad, they might not be able to afford a laptop either.

I stand corrected. Another poster gave me "pause" to change my stance about choices for college students.

6. epi117 macrumors 6502

Ipad can hold a ton of pdf, powerpoint , documents, i use it at work everyday, compliments my desktop.

7. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

iPad mini -- significantly better cameras than the iPad 2 (if you FaceTime/Skype/etc), more portable for content consumption like reading books.

8. iPadMini macrumors newbie

Get a $300 PC. iPad isn't a computer replacement.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This.

10. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

OP never said he doesn't already have access to a computer of some sort, he just asked which iPad to get between the iPad 2 and iPad mini. Plus, even if he doesn't have his own PC, most schools/colleges have PC access in libraries.

11. LYFK macrumors regular

I would double check to see that all the websites you need to use at school can be accessed from a tablet before making a decision.

This includes, learning management systems, class registration/grades, and libraries, just to name a few.

If they are tablet friendly and don't require any flash, then I would get a used/refurb 32GB iPad 2 and a bluetooth keyboard.

If they aren't then you would probably be better off with a laptop.

If your budget is super low but you still need computing power & OSX, then get a Mac Mini, and use lab computers when you are on campus.

12. tann macrumors 68000

If you're getting one as a secondary device to a computer I would go mini, it just seems more portable and better value at this time in the game. But there are lots of reasons for/against the other iPads as well.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPad mini.

Same screen res but more portable, far better cameras, Siri, lightning (the dock connector is dead), cheaper.

14. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

I use an ipad for college and its a marvelous gadget to have.. All my books are available to rent through various vendors which support tablets ( amazon,chegg,etc) also notebook apps on ipad eliminates paper, pens, highlighters etc.. Why carry around all that weight n your "book bag" if u can simply have it in one tablet..

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Point well taken. iPads are popular in the educational market for many of the reasons you stated.

16. firewood macrumors 604

Get the iPad Mini plus a Bluetooth keyboard. Your vision is probably still pretty good. The full size iPad 2 with it's lower DPI is for oldsters who need reading glasses.

The Mini, even with the keyboard, also costs less, and with less glass area is likely harder to break or damage when you drop your book bag.

With an iPad plus a BT keyboard and your university's fast wireless network, you might not need to carry a laptop. Just RDP or VNC into a virtual PC desktop somewhere else when you need any application not available for iOS. You can rent a Linux or Windows VM from Amazon EC2 by the hour. There are even places you can rent access to a Mac desktop in the cloud.

17. nharrietha macrumors member

Depends. If you're lugging a lot of text books and a laptop go with the Mini. If you live very close to the campus and don't need to walk too much I'd say the iPad 2 is better for viewing apps, reading/typing notes etc.
    You really just have to weigh-in on your needs/wants. Personally, I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini to work with my iPad 2 or to completely replace it.

18. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

Definitely the Mini. Think about it, you're essentially getting an iPad 2 that's half the weight, has a smaller but better looking screen, has better cameras, and costs $70 less.

19. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

20. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

I sold my iPad 1 and ordered a Mini. I was always reluctant putting my iPad in a backpack and have it get beat around, but with the mini I can just put it in my jacket pocket. Plus, the mini should be faster than the 2/3, and a heck of a lot faster than my iPad 1.