ipad 2 VS New ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Mar 9, 2012.

1. marc55, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Got my wife an iPad2 , 32GB Wi-Fi yesterday at Best buy; just couldn't pass up the $100 drop in price.

However, am now having buyers remorse that we should have waited for the new ipad.

While it does everything I think we were needing to do, I wondering if we should have waited to get the Retina display and faster processor? All the other stuff we really aren't concerned about.

Question is:

1. Since we really don't any do heavy gaming above angry birds, will the Retina really be a noticeable difference?

2. Will the faster processor speed up surfing the net- will pages download noticeably faster?

3. Is the WiFi any better on the new ipad?

Thank you

2. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

The new screen will be a big difference over the old one. Don't think the difference in processing speed will be very noticeable. Is the new screen alone worth the $100 difference in price is subjective. Personally, I think it is.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

the speed at which pages download is dependant of your network connections. I don't think there was an improvement in the antenna. If so Apple would have mentioned it.

The retina display is definitely worth the extra 100$. From your original post I would say you made a good choice seeing as you aren't pushing the limits of what the iPad can do.

Note that Apple will drop the support for the iPad 2 before they drop the support for "the new iPad" How long will you keep your iPad ?

4. homeboy macrumors 6502

Graphics on the new one, not to mention the screen will be a massive class above. You will feel remorse the second you lay your eyes on the new iPad and test one of the graphically awesome launch titles.

5. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Another point is that you can possibly get back some of that $100 when you sell it 2-3 years down the road. Point is moot if you intend to pass it down to family members when upgrading.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

If you read a lot on it, I'd say it's worth getting the new one.

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

The Retina Display won't do as much for gaming and movies as it will do for browsing the web, reading books, and looking at photos. Those three functions will absolutely pop out at you. I'm not saying it won't be good for games and movies because obviously they will look amazing for moving images, but the true beauty is in still pages like books and websites where every letter and picture will be crisp.

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Now you have to make that final decision as to whether to keep it or return it. You have only a few more weeks to decide during the return period. I think Best Buy is now 30 days not 14 days as before. Ask your wife if she likes it enough to keep it. Its now in your hands OP. Good luck

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

1) The retina display is amazing and will be noticeable in everything
    2) We don't know the processor speed yet, it's still a dual-core though. It's possible the GPU will render webpages faster, but it won't improve download speed. (I believe Apple even mentioned that at the Keynote.)
    3) No one knows yet.

It sounds like it's really the retina display which is most important to you, but it's up to you whether or not it's worth the extra $100.

It may be a good idea to return it, and wait until the iPad 3 is released and compare the two.

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Definitely return it and wait for the new one.

I'm only 20, and found the iPad to have a very poor screen for reading text way back in 2010 when it launched. Needless to say, I returned it and saved my pennies for a Macbook, until eventually getting a tablet with a decent amount of ppi.

The new screen should be insanely better for reading web pages and text off. As well as being excellent for creative uses and photography.

You'll also be able to read web pages easily without having to zoom in every time. Similar to the transition from iPhone 3G/S to 4.

11. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Honestly, if nothing else was added but the retina display I'd have gotten it. I haven't seen it yet but I went through the original iPhone displays to the retina ones and I would never go back. So I know this is the iPad I have waited for (though I have had each model released) from the start. I may finally give up my kindle, too. I've already freed my amazon purchases of their drm to stick into iBooks.

12. BillG53 macrumors member

If you have an iPhone 3G like I do, go compare that screen to the new iPhones. Compare the same area on both of something like Google Maps for a true comparison and you will see the difference. If your budget is tight, iPad 2 may suit your needs. You can always hang onto the 2 and wait for Apple to introduce a couple more generations of the iPad over the next couple of years too and then upgrade.