iPad 2 - want to get new battery, but screen cracked.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Xenomorph, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I have an old iPad 2 WiFi 16GB (purchased near release).

I was going to get the battery replaced.

Apple's website says this is $99.

Well, after all these years of trying to take care of it, something dropped on the device before I could take it in, and I have two big cracks.

Now, from what I've read, getting a "battery" replaced is just them giving you another (refurbished) device that has a newer battery.

But what if my screen is damaged? Will they charge me for a battery, or more?

(I read that an "out of warranty" replacement is $249. A new iPad 2 goes for $299 at Micro Center.)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd just buy a new iPad and sell your old one as is.

3. thegreati macrumors regular

Apple does not perform repairs. They will simply swap your device for a refurb. They might do some simple iPhone 5 repairs, or iPhone 4/4S battery/backplate repairs. But I sure as hell do not see Apple carefully prying off an iPad 2's Glass. Removing the Logic Board and prying the original battery out from its tough adhesive from the backplate.

4. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Had mine replaced once. They don't do repairs for the exact reasons you stated. They do, however, give you a new device - or at least, that's what they told me. Whether you choose to believe that or not is a different matter, of course.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'll essentially get a refurbished iPad as a replacement which comes with a new battery and outer shell. So in the case of the OP by paying for a repair of $249 that gets the OP a new battery. It's not worth the money tbh. It's better spent on a newer iPad.

6. Xenomorph thread starter macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

But they only charge $99 for the battery.

I just wanted to know if they would let me pay $99 for a "new battery" (which involves replacing the entire system).

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

No, you'll get charged for the repair because of the busted screen.

8. thegreati macrumors regular

If it was not a refurb, why would they only charge roughly half the cost? Could you honestly see Apple giving away a "brand-new" device at half the cost? Nope.

9. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Yes, actually, it is a new device. It doesn't come with accessories or a full year warranty. Check refurb prices on Apple's website, and notice it's much more than the service price, and it's sold to you with accessories and a one year warranty. Plus, you're EXCHANGING your defective device for a replacement, as opposed to just getting a new one and getting to keep your old one.

Unless Apple is outright lying to their customers, you get a new device as an exchange. If you want to be skeptical, that's your right, just as it's your right to be blatantly wrong.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Where does Apple say you get a new device in exchange?

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

Josh, you are mistaken. Apple does NOT send out NEW iPad's as a replacement for repairs. It's an industry practice that is employed by all OEM's that they send out a mfg refurb for any device that is sent in for repairs.

The only time you will see someone get a brand new device is if the product was freshly released and someone is having trouble. At this point all iPad's sent in for service are returned with a factory refurbed device.

12. thegreati macrumors regular

To each their own. But having some goodies in a new box and slapping a 1 year warranty on it doesn't make it a brand new device.

13. joshdammit macrumors 6502

At the Apple Stores I've went to.

----------

Sorry, but it is you who is mistaken. Or Apple is lying to me. Industry practice that is employed by other OEMs is irrelevant, unless you're still applying the attitude of "lol u cant possibly believe that."

This is coming straight from the horse's mouth, I'm only relaying it. Apple told me you receive a new device. Again, if you want to be skeptical about it, that's understandable, but telling me I'm wrong is a little harsh when I have specifically asked management at Apple if this is a new or refurbished device and they've told me it's new.

----------

In that case, who's to say the new device you're purchasing is even new?

See what I'm saying here? Technically nobody here knows for sure. I'm only confirming what Apple has directly told me. The only arguments I've heard to suggest otherwise so far on here are "I don't believe it" and "Other companies don't do it."

You're also choosing to ignore the part I brought up where you have to turn in your defective device in replacement for the new one. Again, you can say how you don't believe a new box, a one year warranty, accessories and NOT having to make an exchange is enough to warrant being a new device, but at this point it's just you choosing to believe what you want to believe. At this point, it boils down to "THE MAN is LYING to us!!" which I have no further response to because, to be fair, I can't confirm nor deny whether Apple is telling the truth or lying.

But if you bring your broken iPad into an Apple Store and ask if you're getting a new or a refurbished iPad in return, they will tell you it is new.

Long Story Short: Believe what you guys want, but don't act like that's the final word on it if you don't actually know for sure.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did they say they ALWAYS replace defective devices with new ones, or was it that in that particular instance, you happened to get a new iPad in exchange for a defective one?

I've had several Apple products exchanged, and I've always gotten refurbs. But I've heard that sometimes, especially if it's shortly after a product is released, they may inot have refurbs on hand, in which case they may replace with new ones.

But you have to understand that when people are skeptical about your claim that Apple replaces defective devices with new ones, it's because of our own experiences, which is that many of us have personally gotten our defective devices replaced with refurbs.