iPad 2 Wi Fi reception very poor

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BoxerBoy, May 11, 2012.

1. BoxerBoy macrumors member

My son has had an iPad 2 for 6months and has always had a problem with the WiFi. It works perfectly if he goes into the small room where his router is situated, however anywhere else in the house and the reception is poor, often losing internet connection. Other laptops and iPhones in the house do not suffer this problem.

He came to my house this evening and the problem was the same. In my study where the Time Capsule is located, his reception was great, anywhere else in the house and it was poor. I have several wifi items in the house which function perfectly.

Any advice re. his iPad would be appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is the iPad trying to connect on the same frequency as your other devices? For instance the iPhone can only connect to 2.4 GHz networks, maybe the iPad is trying to connect to a 5 GHz network that has a shorter range.

3. kleinbros macrumors newbie

When I take my iPad and iPhone to a hot spot. It's always the iPhone finds the signal first.

4. Giuly, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

My crystal ball says that you have an older 802.11g router, plus it doesn't have a real antenna.

A) You buy a repeater (aka wireless extender) and place it somewhere in the house like the TP-Link TL-WA901ND or even an AirPort Express
    B) You buy a new 802.11n router, taking care that it has big ass antennae. (Like the TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND or the AirPort Extreme)

Both options cost you probably about the same.